This is a picture of my BEAUTIFUL mother.
It was her birthday the first weekend in September. So guess what Josh and I did for her...we graced her with our presence in Redding! Again. But this time was a complete SURPRISE. My dad was the only one in the family who knew about our plan and he helped orchestrate our arrival so that no one would suspect us. We even came the day after her birthday so she would think the opportunity passed for us to visit. See -- this picture is of my mom blowing out her candles while she chats with us on Skype so we could pretend to be there for her party. I told her that her present would probably get there the next day. (Ha ha ha! Soooo sneaky!)
The next afternoon was Saturday and the whole family was home, including my sister and her husband who were up visiting from San Jose. Josh and I caught a ride from the airport with some Sacramento friends who were going to visit my parents for Labor Day weekend. When we got there, they walked into the house to greet everyone while Josh and I slipped around back to hide for a few minutes. When things had calmed down a little, we leisurely strolled up the back porch and started looking for the kittens while we waited for someone to spot us from the kitchen. Oh MAN did we surprise them! I heard a couple of screams from the house before the door swung open and we were stampeded by family members who were literally IN TEARS with excitement. It was the best welcome ever! Yes, I know it was 99.9 % for Joshua, but I was the one who endured a painfully long trip to get there with a two-year-old once again, so I basked in that reception like they were most happy to see ME. And that made everything worth it.
One of the first things my siblings did with Josh was buzz his hair. Without telling me. Into a MOHAWK! Never mind that I was loving the red that was starting to show in his sweet little curls. Never mind that I'm the mom. Never mind that a full mohawk is the most disgusting hairstyle ever, in my opinion, because it reminds me too much of Redding's rednecks. It was ridiculous of me to react with any emotion other than pure elation, right? That's what they told me. I got a lecture for not approving and not being grateful for my sister's talents. Can you see how easily I lose control of my child when I go to Redding? Can you see why it's always a big adjustment when we come home and try to live our normal lives again? My family better learn to appreciate!
"Hi, I'm Joshua! I get candy for every meal at Grandma's house! Nobody makes me nap or go to bed on time. And I never have to eat vegetables. And I can play with anything I want. And I get more attention than anyone in the whole world. Who needs a mommy with this kind of life?!" That's his attitude for the entire next week after we get home. It's glorious.
A trip to Redding isn't complete without a visit to Black Bear Diner. This is a family restaurant with huge portions. I worked there for a summer after my first year of college and my family decided they loved it! It still smells like work to me, but I can't pretend not to love the food, even if I know what kind of weirdos are in the kitchen preparing it.
Two of my favorite boys playing on their phones during dinner. (That's my brother Steven on the right -- Josh can never get enough of him!)
A favorite past time -- skateboarding in the driveway with Uncle Steven.
Josh always insists on wearing an apron while he washes the dishes. Maybe I'll start insisting that he's always shirtless underneath. Much cuter that way.
He actually started to really love the Speedo my family bought for him. It was the funniest thing for him to walk around the pool asking "Where's my Speedo?!" with his little lisssssp! Obviously, my sister Stephanie had a specific idea for how he should wear it. Matt was appalled with the picture. He's very concerned about Josh being embarrassed by this kind of picture when he gets older.
Josh is getting so good with haircuts. Steph just promises him a sucker when they're done and he sits perfectly still. With a very concerned expression on his face, but still nonetheless. At this point, they finally shaved off his mohawk for me. It wasn't as horrible as I expected because it was really short and kinda cute with gel in it.
Here, the sleepless schedule and sugar overload are setting in as Josh gets really angry with me for wanting to sit in a chair while he throws rocks outside. Instead of what? Standing? I guess so. What a terrible mother for wanting to sit.
Drinking and driving.
Swimming with Grandpa
I'm not allowed to lie down in Josh's presence without him snuggling up to me. It's verrrrry nice. Except that he really won't let me lay down unless he's in the mood to snuggle. It's either both of us or neither of us.
In Target, Josh wanted to try on all the sunglasses and he wanted Steph to take pictures of him. That never happens! I'm glad she was able to give him so much attention because this one is a keeper!
Josh telling Grandpa how to read his book the right way.
That's right...matching Speedos! We're ready for a European vacation!
Josh spent many hours in the giant pantry, on a step stool that put him right at the level of the stackable cans and just out of reach of the licorice. It allowed him to make a wonderful mess and see just enough snacks to make him yell for someone to get him sugar every time he went in there. And usually he got what he wanted because everyone wanted to be his favorite.
The last night, we all sat out in the front together until it got dark, playing in the driveway and eating B&R ice cream. Julia is so good at entertaining Josh and teaching him at the same time. I think she's testing him on shapes and letters here.
Josh's aunties helping him get ready for bed on our last night. More like making an excuse to keep him awake longer by reading more books. I can't blame them. It was hard to say goodbye.
Readers: I know you get to see more pictures of my family than you probably want, but we've been visiting them a lot while we have the chance...before we move even farther away next summer and have another baby to tote around. Thanks for not getting annoyed at seeing a similar post every few months! (Or at least for not telling me you're annoyed.)




















5 comments:
What a fun trip...I can totally relate to the Auntie side...anytime Nico is within reach, he's usually in my lap or hand-in-hand running around. It's so much fun!! I can't wait to see you guys again...It will probably be awhile, but maybe by then I'll have a little one of my own :)
It's all worth it when you post gems like "matching speedos."
What a fun surprise for your family! Josh can seriously pull off that mohawk. You'd better watch out for this kid. He's gonna be quite the ladies man in that mohawk and speedo!!
Hi Mimers! Congrats on baby #2 (and 1...he's such a cutie!). I couldn't help but laugh at your Black Bear picture...I might be working there for a months before I head to grad school in January...so hopefully you will come back between now and then to visit! Love reading your blog (-:
Oh, it's Nikki McGovern, by the way...realized that wasn't self explanatory (-:
Post a Comment