When we're at home, Josh gets in moods where he wants to just talk talk talk. He often makes up songs for whatever he's doing, or just asks random questions that he already knows the answers to. Whatever it takes to keep the conversation going.
The other day, he and I were discussing something and there was a pause for few seconds, which apparently made him uncomfortable because he quickly started looking around the room for something to talk about. He looked straight up and asked, "Mommy, umm....what's the ceiling doing?"
I realized he didn't really need a solid explanation for that, so I just said, "I don't know. What's it doing?"
To which he responded, "It's just hanging." Hmm. Obviously. Then he moved onto his next series of very important questions. He's quite the interesting conversationalist these days.
--------------------------------
That same day he was doing all sorts of new things by himself, and I asked him "How are you only two? You seem like you're five sometimes!"
He quickly corrected me in an exasperated tone, "I'm two and a HALF, Mommy."
---------------------------------
As he was giving my baby belly a very sweet hug, I said "I wish the baby would kick right now so you could feel him move!"
Josh looked up at me with a furrowed brow and said, "But I think he has no feet. He can't kick me."
So it seems like we're back to not fully understanding what's going on, because Josh seems to think that "baby boy" is just a nickname for my huge belly. There couldn't possibly be a real baby inside. That would be crazy.
5 comments:
oh my gosh Mimi he is just too cute and smart for his britches!!!! I LOVE HIM! I can't wait to have a little guy!!
What a clever little boy!! What a great way to fill an awkward silence. "What is the ceiling doing?" I'm going to have to try that one.
These stories are just cracking me up!! And I have pretty funny kids (okay okay, who doesn't), but these are hilarious. We miss him. Oh, and you.
Haha! Love it when kids just want to talk to hear their own voices. We know how that goes! I am so glad that your new resolution is to write things down as they happen. I love reading your blog posts and you are always so clever it is quite entertaining! Wish we could have joined you for the sledding. It looks like it was a blast!
Mimers,
Happy to hear my message resounds with a mama out there. And what a beautiful mama you are! LOVE the belly shot. Can I request more? When you were pregnant with Josh I always enjoyed the belly shot updates with your Fbook photos.
Keep up the chronicles of Josh's inquiries, too! They're great questions, especially when you flip them so that he is the one inventing and storytelling.
Wishing I could meet up with you for coffee...
xo, Jess
Post a Comment