Right now, I need to write about the kind of people I am surrounded by here in Midland. Specifically the kind of women. Awesome women. Intimidating women. Women who, without acting the least bit self-righteous or arrogant, make me feel like I cannot and will not ever measure up.
Some of you wonderful women may be reading this, so let me explain in hopes that you won't be offended. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for each of you. My exasperation is my way of showing it.
FIRST, if you want to fit in with the amazing females that populate Midland, Michigan, you have to run. Not just be in good enough shape to hang with the ladies for a morning jog now and then. No no, you have to RUN. Fast and far.
There is a big group training for a half marathon, and they're all going to take a happy little trip to Chicago together for the race next month. Thirteen miles? No big deal. These girls have run everything from 5Ks to full marathons, and they have all the T-shirts to prove it. Running practice every Saturday morning at 6 am while your five/seven/ten children are still nestled in their warm beds? Meh...what kind of a mom actually needs sleep?
At least I've done the first step: bought shoes. And I read a really cool book to inspire me.
SECOND, if you want to fit in with the amazing females that populate Midland, Michigan, you must must MUST be crafty. Not just crafty enough to get by with a few DIY projects here and there around the house that you can show to your mom on Skype and she can feign enthusiasm until you feel slightly accomplished.
I'm talking about Blogs with a capital B. Real, sponsored, crafty blogs that have followers, and are featured on other blogs, and bring in moolah, and have regular posts about the amazing ideas that come from your own brain. (Note: this is in addition to your regular old family blog, where you scrapbook and journal about your everyday life in the cutest most perfect way imaginable.)
Just check out this blog or this blog or this blog or this blog and you'll see what I mean. And these are just the blogs I have heard about so far created by the people I have met so far at church in my three months of living here. It seems like everyone and their dog has a cute crafty blog. Seriously, there is actually a blog called "Hi, I'm a Dog and Even I Am More Creative Than Mimi."
Okay not really, but there might as well be. Give me a break, people. Doesn't anybody sleep or watch TV around here?
Oh, and it should be mentioned that if you are a blogger, you must also be a proficient photographer. Mmm... make that an amazing photographer. Such that every time you grace the internet with your photos, you have edited said photos so that each is stamped with your official blog title, just so no one will steal your work and try to take credit for what's yours.
THIRD, if you want to fit in with the amazing females that populate Midland, Michigan, you have to have enough kids to fill a minivan or two. Or at least have that in the plans. Whether or not you are Mormon. Midland is a family town, and I love it! I'm just not sure how much more I have in me, in terms of pregnancies and deliveries. Yeesh. Not something I want to think about right now. Ask me the next time I get a decent night of sleep.
In sum: I. WILL. NEVER. CATCH. UP.
If I can't run like a doe and craft like a fairy and procreate like a rabbit, at least I can be the resident expert on the latest episodes of The Office and Modern Family. (Starts tonight! Wohoo!)
This is officially the first morning of free time I have had since Josh started morning preschool two days a week. And what am I doing? Blogging about my feelings of blog envy. An excellent use of time, wouldn't you say? I'm already on the road to greatness.

7 comments:
I think you should come over to my house on Thursday nights and we can have inadequacy parties. I'd say we could watch Modern Family, but we would have to wait until the day after, because we don't get cable. I'm even behind on that!
But seriously. You and I? Kindred spirits. On all of these things. You are not alone!
Not that I don't think all of those things you talked about are great, cause I do. But I guess there are a lot of different things that make me think women are amazing... like being a wonderful, considerate, thoughtful friend. And an exemplary mom. And a conscientious daughter and sister. And a quick-witted conversationalist/writer. And most, importantly, an expert guitar-hero drum player and white-girl rapper. But I guess those other things are cool, too.
And, it has to be said, if you put crafting/running/birthing at the top of your list of priorities, YOU would be the master of them all, my dear.. tis true.
You are too kind Mimi, maybe I should you point you in the direction of this blog post http://sweetserendipity23.blogspot.com/2011/09/reality.html to cheer you up. The truth is you are amazing I watch you every Sunday and am in awe of the childrens response to you and your fabulous ideas so hats off to you, you are wonderful!!!
mimi - believe it or not i too feel the EXACT same way. and lately - i don't want to keep up. or even try.
what have i been doing? taking a 2 1/2 hour nap today followed by drowning my sorrows in apple crisp with ice cream. i locked my child in her room while she screamed her head off this morning because i couldn't handle her screaming any longer. and it was only 8:30 in the morning. i spent my time with my girls yesterday afternoon making sure i watched all of the 2 hour biggest loser.
i think we all only see the best in each other which is wonderful but there is alot we all fail or come inadequate with. what you see is only a slice of the pie - not the whole thing. and all of those things you may feel inadequate with - don't matter. in the end it doesn't matter if you run, or craft, or how many kids you have. none of that matters. we're all in this together, we're all trying to find what works for us, and in the end we're all just trying to do our best in whatever way we know how.
i've been struggling with this SAME thing since we moved here and only lately i've been learning this and trying to become more confident in myself and in what i want to try and do and what i could really care less about!
so please stop by my house and find my kitchen floor nasty, my kids in their pjs, and me having not showered in 2 days. i love that you're here and i hope that the longer youre here the more you'll get to know everyone and see what's 'real' and not just what appears from the outside :)
Haha! Your wittiness never ceases to amaze me! I guess that just goes to prove that maybe we all feel the same way...like we don't measure up. It is a terrible feeling and I wonder as women, if there is every any relief from that feeling. But, you, my dear, have EVERYTHING these other girls do and I speak from seeing you first hand. YOU have so many amazing qualities that are unique to just you. Besides, I know that if you did ever feel motivated to have a blog that brought in moolah, you could do it for sure. Whatever you put your mind to, you go above and beyond to make it happen.
i love you. seriously! And when a woman of your caliber complains about not being able to keep up, it makes some of us feel....even looooower .... (pouty face). You rock. Have you ever not been good at something? I submit the answer is "NO!". and anyway, I hope you plan to become really great friends with that "Erica" up there, because she seems awesome. And anyway, weren't the office and MF totally flippin' hilar?!? wish we could still watch them with you guys.
Mimi the lens of a blog is foolhardy. I feel very much like you. Come and let your sweet boy dig for worms in the dirt with us. There will be unfolded laundry all over my couch though (at best).
And the dishes might still be out...sometimes until nap time...or bed time...depending....which means I might have a hard time inviting you over. Because, you see...I can't catch up or keep up either. And you seem to hold things together so perfectly.
I'm not in the running club (or even have cool running shoes--those look wow!) Maybe we should have a "celebrate a full night of sleep" club instead?
Mimi I genuinely think you are beautiful and wonderful. Can I grow up to be you, please? I am so glad you are here!
p.s. I have tomatoes and a book for you!
Post a Comment