Monday, September 24, 2012

Ludington

A few weeks ago we made a day trip to Ludington. It's this little beautiful beach town two hours away on the west coast of Michigan. This trip once again confirmed our beliefs that Lake Michigan is actually an ocean. Pristine sand, waves, nothing in sight on the horizon, definitely an ocean. Way to go, Maps, for mislabeling this one.


After playing on the beach for a couple hours, we headed a few blocks into town for dinner. I had heard of House of Flavors from a friend so we stopped in to put our name on the list. The wait was 30-40 minutes! I hadn't experienced a wait at a restaurant in over a year (Thank you, Midland), so this felt weird. We walked around the town a bit while we waited and Josh found a cool sticker on a bike shop that said his name. We also later saw the huge ferry leaving the harbor, and heard it honk its loud horn a few times. The boys loved it.


We made sure to get an enormous sampler of ice cream before we left the restaurant. We took it to a picnic table outside and stuffed our faces with six flavors of seriously amazing ice cream. I wish I could remember their names for next time... Eskimo Kisses, carrot cake, chocolate raspberry something... See, this is why I should write stuff down sooner! Bad blogger, Mimi!


Josh is allergic to milk and was excited that they had a dairy-free lemon option. Jude is not allergic to milk, so he dove right into the adult dish and helped himself. Please note Josh's tree-hugger side laying down on the bench to watch the "beautiful sky". 


My only Ludington requirement was that we stay to see the famous sunset. The clouds made the sky and the water look absolutely amazing. I didn't enhance these pictures at all, and they're just from my cell phone, so try to imagine how beautiful it was in person.


In sum: Ludington is worth the drive, even if you don't leave until 1:00 in the afternoon like we did.  And the overtired non-stop stream of consciousness conversation that Josh provides on the way home is priceless. I might keep him up really late next time Matt's out of town and I'm bored, because he's ridiculous.

Next time we're seeing the lighthouses, and hopefully showing this place off to visitors. So come visit!

3 comments:

E B said...

Overtired stream of conciousness! That's awesome. Made my night.

Elizabeth Glenn said...

Your family is adorbs. And eskimo kisses from House of Flavors is awesome!

Carina said...

Totally amazing! That sunset is GORGEOUS!!! I think sunsets and bridges have got to be the most romantic thing in my book!

Loved seeing all your updates. You are amazing to keep up on your trying something new. I love seeing what all you are up to!

And hey! I get to see you in person in one week from today. Hurray!!!