Saturday, January 12, 2013

Something New: Weeks 50 and 51

Super late...catching up after being gone forever...but here's my penultimate Try Something New post. Almost done!

December 9 -- Had the Schmidts over for dinner. They are seriously awesome people. Also went to a fun nativity night at our neighbor's house where the kids acted out the story of Jesus' birth. Josh refused to dress up. Jude was a little wise man king. On mushrooms.


December 10 -- Tried a new recipe: Jamaican spinach soup. Not bad, but not my favorite flavors (turmeric). I needed to get rid of some ingredients in my fridge.

December 11 -- Tried going to early to the Santa House so we wouldn't have to wait so long for our turn. Bad choice. Ended up at the back of a line anyway, and had to wait a long time in the the freezing cold for Santa to show up. We didn't dress in warm enough clothes either. Not going early next year.


December 12 -- Came across this video about weird Utah Mormon names. It's worth sharing.



December 13 -- Finally wore my new red skinny jeans. It was Josh's Christmas party at school, so I paired it with bright green so I'd look like an elf. Because I'm an awesome mom.

December 14 -- I finally had my first piano recital for my very own students!!! This has been a longtime goal of mine, to have enough students to put on a small recital. There were seven performers, twelve songs, five families, and about a dozen elderly people gathered in the lobby of their assisted living center. The recital only lasted about twenty minutes, but it was just right. Even Josh performed the one song he knows: "Hot Cross Buns". I'm so, so mad at myself for not getting any kind of photo or video that night. What kind of a mom doesn't get a picture of her son's first piano performance?? I take back the awesome mom comment already.


December 15 --  Flew out of the new terminal at MBS. It's really nice, for a small airport. Saw the Palmers' sweet California pad for the first time.

Posted by Vanessa on Facebook
December 16 -- Went to my Vanessa's ward and learned about Women Wear Pants to Church Day, which I was completely unaware of due to my inactivity on Facebook. It was definitely celebrated in the Bay Area. Hmph. It seems like there are a bunch of women who really don't understand their own religion if they think wearing pants is going to make God decide to give them the Priesthood. No one ever said you can't wear pants, but congratulations on getting a bunch of negative press for the Church so the world can think we don't value women. I'm all about girl power, but don't get me started on this one...

December 17 -- On a lighter note...caramel apple frozen yogurt from Cookies and Yogurt. Amazing! Why is there no frozen yogurt where I live?! What did I ever do to deserve this?!

December 18 -- Flew to Seattle with Matt for work. (Left the kids at Grandma's house, thank you very much.) Neither of us had been there before, but it was quite nice and really cold. We found out that snow follows us everywhere. What did they think we were running away from by leaving Michigan in December??


Who doesn't like a little snow on their palm trees?

That night we also experienced Pagliacci's "Pear Primo" pizza in Bellevue. That's right, pizza with pears on it. It shouldn't be good, but it was actually really tasty. I'd make it at home.


December 19 -- Explored the fancy Bellevue area while Matt went to meetings. Bought nothing but food all day. SUCH good food! Top Pot doughnuts, Red Mango yogurt with bobo balls, Oil and Vinegar's pear balsamic, Jamba Juice (of course), Bis on Main's Alaskan Halibut...yes I ate fresh fish in Seattle and it was beyond amazing. Here's proof:


See how I'm holding fish up to my nose and not even gagging??

December 20 -- You know this is gonna be more about food. Our last morning in Seattle, we had the best bagels we have ever eaten at Gilbert's. Seriously...all I wanted for Christmas was just ONE of these places to move to Midland. Just ONE!

December 21 -- Crocheted my first pair of boot cuffs. My mom showed me some that she bought at a boutique, but we couldn't find them anywhere else. I just Googled a pattern and whipped some up for her for Christmas. And for my three sisters, too. I can't resist a good cheap gift, and they were so easy to make. Check out this link and you'll see how to wear them.


December 22 -- Saw the movie "Pitch Perfect" with my siblings. They are obsessed. It was a funny movie. It made me wish that I had an a capella voice, and it made me love this song.

No comments: