So...crazy December. Fun and busy and crazy December.
I spent a lot of time preparing for my whole family to come for Christmas -- lots of organizing, deep cleaning, and clearing out space for lots of bodies to sleep. There was pantry stocking, meal preparations, and Chicago travel plans to arrange, on top of all the other normal December events, parties, and activities. Fortunately, Matt didn't have to travel much all month (which he's making up for now), so we also had some just-our-family time.
Here is our month in pictures (and a few more words):
The boys got these elf pajamas in a special package from Grandma Sara. She also sent the book "Snow Angels", an Elf on the Shelf, a blingy mistletoe decoration, a jingle bell door hanger, a book of Christmas piano music, and of course, Fruit By the Foot for the boys. It was a great start to the month.
I made an advent calendar for the kids this year, with a different craft or activity each night. (Just so I could feel like an overachieving mother one more time before the baby comes. Never mind that the boys kind of forgot about it halfway through the month.) Here are a few of our projects: countdown blocks, borax crystal snowflakes, sock snowmen, and filling our own tree ornaments. The sprinkles are my favorite.
Matt taught Josh how to play Jingle Bells on the piano and he performed it, along with "Old Pig Donald" for our Christmas recital. We had it at the house again, but just one additional student and a few more adults made it seem much more crowded than last time. Of course I have no pictures from that night. Again.
I made vanilla extract as Christmas gifts for some friends. It's so yummy and so easy. You should try it.
Here I am at 26 weeks pregnant, not giving you a full smile because it makes my face look super puffy right now. Sorry if I look grumpy until spring.
I finally made a tree skirt (out of an old tablecloth), helped set up and clean up the huge nativity exhibit at the church, supervised the boys writing these cute notes to Matt's family, and did a big puzzle my brother got me for Christmas. Because Christmas isn't Christmas without a new puzzle. Ask anyone.
Matt's family sent us a really fun package full of things that would help us bring their Christmas traditions to our little family. There were "Merry Christmas" blocks (Josh didn't even need prompting to start rearranging the letters, per tradition), a special elf ornament from Grandpa's childhood tree, an animal ornament for each boy, a chocolate advent calendar, and some new Christmas movies.
Outside of our warm and busy little house, it was absolutely awful. Cold and snow, cold and snow, cold and snow. I'm really sick of it. At least it stayed white for my family, and many of us had our first snowy white Christmas ever. My opinion: it's not all it's cracked up to be. I strongly prefer sunshine, even on Christmas.
Matt and I were able to have a couple of date nights in December. One night, we went to dinner with our friends at their country club and had this most amazing peppermint chocolate dessert. Had to take a picture for my mom.
Matt got to "work" from home quite a bit, and we took the boys to see Frozen. You've already heard this a million times, but it was so good! Finally a Disney movie that will teach my daughter some realistic things about love!
Aaaaand the biggest, most exciting and wonderful and amazing news of the year....
OUR BOYS HAVE COUSINS! I'M AN AUNT! MATT IS AN UNCLE!
Matt's sister Stephanie had twin girls at the end of the month, little misses Emmy and Piper. They are so beautiful. They aren't identical, so we get to see TWO different cute combinations of Steph and Kevin at the same time. I want to meet them so badly. I have never experienced this feeling of caring so much about someone else's babies before, but now I find myself wanting pictures of them every day, wondering how every night of sleep went, and seriously worrying about them never knowing their Aunt Mimi because we live so far away.
Here's the lovely mama with her babes in the hospital.
And here's Grandpa with his first two granddaughters.
These boys cannot wait to meet their baby cousins in April! We're hoping by then the girls will be strong enough for a good wrestling match. Or at least have enough arm muscles to hold up a sword.





1 comment:
Yup- must have puzzles at Christmas, and Mimi, you could never look puffy. Smile on!
Congrats on the nieces, how wonderfully exciting!
Post a Comment