I have a wonderful old lady in my life called Grandma Mae. She's my dad's mom, and she turned 99 years old in March. She used to live in the apartment off my parents' garage in Redding, so I was able to see her pretty often for a whole decade.
About two years ago, she moved to Phoenix to be near my aunt, and then decided to move again to southern California to be near my other aunt. It was a lot of action for someone her age, and her health has gone downhill since she left. She's not in bad shape, she's just not as independent as she used to be, and it bothers her.
She used to be an independent woman, living in her own space, shopping for and decorating with fake flowers every change of season, cooking for herself, playing the piano daily, watching her tennis matches and BYU Round Table, reading, knitting, and walking wherever she needed to go.
Now, she's in a wheelchair. She can't take herself to the bathroom. She can't see very well, so reading is difficult. She can't play the piano, so she got rid of hers. She lives in a senior care home where people cook for her and help her function. And the worst part -- she forgets people. It takes her a while to remember even her own sons because she doesn't see them every week. It breaks my heart for her, and makes me think she's ready to be done with this life. So it was really important for me to go visit her on her birthday.
My dad and sister were going down to Thousand Oaks for the party that weekend, so Adele and I met them there. Adele was quite popular on the horribly early flight.
wiping down some airport seats while we wait for Steve and Julia
Some other family came into town as well, so Grandma Mae had all her living children with her, five of her grandchildren (plus two spouses), and two of her great-grandchildren. I hope she felt special for a couple hours.
Aunt Lu, Aunt Marsha, cousin Natalie. All of them just ate Adele up, but she wasn't thrilled about all the strangers all at once.
I hadn't seen Nat in almost eleven years. That's just not right!
Everyone stayed at Aunt Lu and Uncle Gordon's house. It's less of a house and more of a big, beautiful palace on orchards of lemons and avocados. And the weather...oh that weather.
I met my cousin's Steven's pregnant wife Stephanie, who happened to wear stripes on the same day as Julia and Uncle Rick. I didn't get the memo and felt extremely left out.
These two took shared a lot of cuddles that weekend.
We went for a run in the orchard Saturday morning, but it ended up being more of a stroller struggle. And yes, I really am that white in real life.
This is how Adele feels about dogs. All she cared about that whole weekend was Annie the dog.
Above, Adele is getting to know my cousin Jamie's husband Scott. They have a little boy who is Jude's perfect match. The amount of terror those two could cause together would be off the charts.
Below, Adele is scheming to get her first taste of Diet Coke. And of course she gets it, because Grandpas can do that.
Grandma Mae came over for her party on Saturday. She had Costco cake, ice cream, presents, a little lunch, and asked for her own black cherry soda. I guess that was my gift to her. I just love this crusty look. I think she was confused, and a little irritated that no one was getting her more mashed potatoes, but then when she realized we were singing to her, she was happy again.
Naked Adele loved the pool and hot tub. But not as much as she loved Annie the dog. Here's a video of her calling for "gogga!" across the yard.
Natalie and my dad had some intense races around the pool.
Adele started training S and S for the baby they're expecting this summer.
All pretty for church, wearing Mom's necklace. Grandma came to church with us and we all went to lunch afterward. Later we tried Yozen Frogurt for the first time, and it was dery velicious.
Uncle Gordon, Natalie, and Annie the dog -- some of Adele's favorites
On the way back to the airport on Sunday, we stopped by Grandma's place one more time and brought her some flowers. She was so happy to see us again and was really cute with Adele, who even snuggled up for kisses before we left. It was a precious visit I hope I don't forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment