Jude finally turned five, after many months of anticipation and discussion about his "almost" birthday. He loves so many things SO MUCH that it was impossible to pick just one theme for his party, and he had big plans for every detail. This boy is really excited about life.
Jude is learning to read, and is a great artist and musician. He draws me pictures every day and sings while he practices the piano.
. He likes to be my helper at home when Josh is at school, especially with cooking and cleaning. He is a very good friend and does not hurt feelings. He loves one-on-one time and Star Wars shirts.
Josh might be Jude's favorite person. Josh teaches him all kinds of big words and fun games. He also teaches him the art of big brother manipulation. They are usually really good playmates.
He likes to watch tween superhero shows on Netflix. Power Rangers, especially. But he is also hypnotized by Adele's baby shows like Daniel Tiger and Word World.
He is full of every emotion. He has strong opinions and is still a persistent negotiator. Right now that lands him in time out a lot, but hopefully it will serve him well when he's older.
| Crying real tears because he was so sad to give this present to Josh's friend instead of keeping it for himself. |
We drive by a cemetery on the way to preschool, and Jude asks to drive through it almost every time. He really likes to look at the headstones and talk about when the dead people are going to come back alive. I get so many questions about zombies and resurrection that I don't know how to answer!
Jude currently bites his fingernails badly and has his hands in his mouth whenever he's sitting still. He even started biting his grubby little toenails. I've gotta get him something sanitary to chew on!
He is such a home-body that I have to BEG him to let me take him on fun outings. We usually negotiate for a good thirty minutes before I can talk him into going to the zoo or the beach. And if I try to change his after-school plans without enough notice, he goes into full freak out mode.
| He takes his shirt off whenever he's hot, wherever we are. And Adele follows suit. |
Jude is still making his own food creations on the regular. Recent experiments include peanut butter and jelly and bananas and strawberries on grilled cheese, dipping black olives in yogurt, and spreading frosting on Ritz crackers. He is still kind of picky when I make real people food, but is getting much better about trying at least one bite.
| He is my chocolate lover. One of them, anyway. My kids don't really have a choice but to love chocolate. |
Jude asks to snuggle me on a daily and nightly basis. When he watches a show while Adele naps and I work on the computer, he sits right up next to me and leans closer and closer until I have to elbow him away so I can use the mouse. He is such a cuddler.
Jude's relationship with Adele is complex. She does everything he does and is a great little shadow. He is very affectionate with her and loves to be the leader. But at the same time, he pesters her at every opportunity. He takes her toys and shmoozes her into giving him her snacks, and half the time this is the scene I'm looking at:
Jude and Adele love to drink "chocolate milk" (aka my post-workout protein shakes). Little piggies.
Sometimes, in certain light, his hair looks like it's keeping a tiny bit of red in it.
Jude has said that he aspires to be a diamond miner when he grows up (like Josh), but recently informed us that he also wants to be a lumberjack carpenter. And I realized that I will be perfectly happy for him if that's what he becomes. Because when he is genuinely excited about something, there's not a happier face in the world.
I cannot wait to see what kind of grown up this little firecracker becomes someday!








1 comment:
Get this little chef on Chopped Junior!
Post a Comment