Monday, March 13, 2017

May 2016

I'm sitting here cracking my knuckles and REALLY gearing up for some good quality catch up....but I'm just not sure I'm going to do 2016 justice. It was a heck of a year, and now that I am at ten months behind on documenting, I know some important details will be lost, and I'm sorry. Here I go anyway!

Matt got this crazy idea to make his own pastrami, which involves a brine in the fridge for two weeks, and a small fortune in spices. It was absolutely delicious, and we'll do it again. P.S. Seeing Adele's sippy cup in the background makes me realize how long ago this was.


We happened to get our butts in gear and do a little bit of landscaping on Mother's Day. Matt pulled out some enormous spruce trees on either side of the front yard and I brought home lots of flowers and shrubbery. It was a beautiful sunshiney day with my hands in the dirt, and I finally had something to make me smile upon coming home to my old ugly house, and I remember this feeling like the best Mother's Day ever!


More inside renovations. Everything is taped so we could spray the trim a glossy white, but in retrospect, with all the taping work and all the splatter of a sprayer, I would rather just paint it by hand next time.


Uncle Teague was our construction guru, and at times, our kid entertainer. You can obviously see why they're drawn to him here.


 Steph took Adele with her on a long weekend to Redding, and she got to spend some quality time with cousin Elsie, who was also visiting Grandma.


Matt took the boys to their first Mariners game.


There was lots of batting practice with wiffle balls in the backyard. Both boys are very good batters, and have a lots of room to improve in the catching and throwing categories.


Here is a look at our back porch, after moving that window over a few inches. It still looks this bad, ten months later. Sorry neighbors, we'll get there!


We got warm enough weather for the beach! Aunt Stephanie and some friends met us there.



"I'm swimming! I'm swimming!"


I got the KonMari fever and purged a bunch of clothes. Something about living in a construction zone makes you want to throw EVERYTHING away.


Adele loves when she's big enough to fit into Jude's old super-cool clothes, like this Turtle jacket.


She is also a major cheese-lover.



Our view from the park is pretty awesome. Our cousin Nicholi was here visiting, and this was a good place for all the Seattle cousins to congregate. These kids are crazy about each other.


Adele started experimenting with big girl underwear. She wasn't actually potty-trained until the fall, but she showed interest early.


Jude got slurpees with his friend James after preschool once and it made his entire month!


Matt went to his five year MBA reunion in Chicago and saw our dear old Smith friends. I wish I could have gone with him.


Adele started to display even more of an affinity for dancing and gymnastics. She watches shows in positions like this a lot.


My calendar is her favorite thing to scribble on. Not very convenient for me.


Josh started cub scouts a little early because I am one of the wolf den leaders. This was a hike we took to the secret beach, about half a mile from the church.



Matt took this picture. I don't think he realizes that ice cream on the kitchen floor is a common ritual between my children and me.


Sometimes we make cakes and decorate them with candy because it's too rainy to play outside.


We also paint when it rains, and we've ruined enough clothes to know that the best way to paint is naked.



We visited the Williams family when they were in town, and got to meet Natalie's precious baby.


Adele has the sweetest face when she sits still to watch a show. I take too many pictures of her this way.



She is the willing subject of most of my photography practice.


Lastly, my favorite picture of the month. Instagram caption: "We all do it."

1 comment:

NatAttack said...

Heyoh! Our baby gets a shout-out! Hard to believe she was 3-weeks old then and is coming up on a year shortly. I'd like to say time has gone fast but... well; maybe parts of it have. :)