Sunday, February 10, 2008

Man-fest Destiny 2008


First--as Mimi previously mentioned, I call the baby Thor. As in the Norse god. I keep telling Mimi that he is going to be 6'6" 260 lbs. And he's going to be an All American linebacker. Or I'm going to teach him to be a left handed pitcher. Lots of money there. Or I suppose he could fight injustice and save the world. All of these would be acceptable.

We wanted to celebrate Thor's future, so we decided to do the manliest thing we could think of. It was raining the day of the monster truck rally, so we didn't go to that. Now, lest you think that our lack of resolve to attend the rally in the rain is "girly", we planned the following activity to make up for it.

MAN-FEST DESTINY 2008

Our plan was to live out every manly stereotype we could in one night. So, after not showering, we put on our manliest clothes (my Cardinals jersey and baseball hats), went to Blackbear Diner and ate massive amounts of food.


Then we wanted Thor to feel the joys of pyromania, so we lit some stuff on fire.

After that, Mimi broke some stuff, and used a power drill to put it back together. (We saved the big wood thing and have it in our home as a memorial of man-fest 2008.) I think we'll probably hang it over Thor's crib, so if snakes (ala Hercules) or any of our potential enemies come into our apartment, he can use it to destroy them.

As a finale we rented and watched the manliest new movie we could think of. Live Free or Die Hard. It was a perfect capstone for man-fest--basically, it contained a scene where a woman got hit by a speeding SUV, was driven through several walls, and then had her legs smashed against the side of an elevator shaft. Afterwards, she was climbing around in high heels and kicking Bruce Willis in the face.
Go ahead--ask me for a one word summary of the movie. I'll give it to you.
Manly.

Anyway, it was a pretty fun night. My only concern? Mimi is already talking about Girl Party 2010. I don't look good in pink.

7 comments:

Mallory said...

Hey Matt and Mimi. It's the Grover's from Washington D.C. We found your blog through John and Melanie's. Congratulations on the baby boy . We just welcomed our little man into our family in July. You will love being parents, and baby boys are great!

John and Melanie said...

Amen to the Grovers. Little boys are the BEST! I love your man-fest... so fun :-) Glad to see your blog is up and running. We miss you tonz and we can't wait to meet this little Snow dude. So, Matt is calling him Thor. Mimi, what are you calling him?

Bridget said...

Mimi and Matt,
Very creative! I love the title "man-fest destiny", and all of the great commentary on your manly weekend. Now Bridget and I need to make our own blog...until then, look for my posts on famsmith.blogspot.com !

Dane said...

By the way, I posted that last comment, not Bridget!

Mimi said...

John and Melanie --
In answer to your question, I call the little man Bjorn. First, I think it's hilarious and I laugh every time I say it. Second, it means "bear", which is what we were calling our cinnamon-bear-fetus until we found out the gender. I'm hoping neither of our little nicknames will stick.

marry said...

Hey you two. This is Mary and Merrill... I came across your blog surfing the blog world. So excited to find your link. Congrats on the baby...that is wonderful and love the man-fest.

Mardee Rae said...

Matt and Mimi, you pigs. You man's men, you. I hate boys. But I was hoping that Thor would be the sworn protector of our future slew of sissy-girls. Can we make a deal? I thought the family relation would keep the romance out of it and protect them from the wanton eyes of any other protector. I love that you really do keep that thing that Mimi broke and then put back together at the focal point of your home (next to the tv).