Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Kids are back!

Monday night, my dear husband took me on a much needed date. He scored free tickets to a New Kids on the Block concert from work. That's right -- NKOTB -- as in the hot pop boy band from the 80's and early 90's. I tell you, there is nothing like watching a group of 40-year-old men dressed like teenagers, singing and dancing around, thinking they're as cool as they were when they were 15.

You wouldn't believe the crazy crowd. There were probably 12 men in the stadium (including the New Kids). It was mostly 30- and 40-year-old women screaming louder and longer than any crowd I have ever been a part of. Some of the outbursts we heard were: "I'm so excited I'm having contractions!" "Let's celebrate divorce together!" "I've waited 15 years for this moment -- best day of my life!" Luckily, Matt's tickets were for a suite, so we were safely seated at a bar eating our chicken fingers and nachos, free to observe the shenanigans of crazed fans from a distance.
The best part, in my opinion, was that Natasha Bedingfield opened up the concert. She is amazing! And what's great is that her speaking voice is just as beautiful as her singing voice. (She's British, you know.) I became a fan. I even came home and bought a bunch of her music on itunes, which I'm generally too cheap to do.

So, even though NKOTB were really big before my teenage era, and I couldn't really sing along to their songs, we had a great time. And I have to admit, if NSYNC decides to come back for a tour in the year 2020, I am SO there!!!

4 comments:

Ryan said...

So 15 years later, shouldn't they be considered the Old Kids on the Block? Get it?

Seriously though, I used to like them when I was like 8, and all my friend made fun of me. (That wasn't a typo.)

Timeeh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Timeeh said...

I can't say I'm a big NKOTB fan, nor have I ever been but that's cool you got to see them! Natasha Bedingfield on the other hand is one of my favorite artists, we have a lot of her music, it's great!

Sarah McM said...

I've heard a rumor that N*Sync is considering a reunion. If I were Justin Timberlake, I'd pass.

I will admit I'm a bit jealous. NKOTB was late elementary school for me and my big sisters were BIG fans!