Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year

I guess I should have made goals and changes on New Years, like most respectable people traditionally do.  But I figure 1/11/11 is almost as good as 1/1/11 to make a fresh start.

I've decided to revamp my method/style of journaling. So many days, there are extremely cute things that happen in my home that I want to remember. But by the time I get around to making an organized post with pictures and such, I forget the majority of those moments and start cursing myself as a mother. I want my Snowbabies to be able to look back at this journal/scrapbook of a blog and see exactly when it was that they took their first steps, read their first book, made their first creme brulee....You know, the basic things they have to report about in their seventh grade autobiography project.


So this is my public declaration of a goal I have set for myself this year -- to write things down as they happen. Even if it's just a few sentences every other day or so. I feel like life is happening too fast recently, and I  want to remember everything. Yes, that means if you continue to read this blog, you will definitely hear more details about my family that could bore you to tears. Sorry. My blog.

For starters, last week Josh made his first attempt to write letters! He was painting with watercolors and tried to copy his name, which I had written on the page. He made a backwards J, a very squiggly line as he whispered "ethsssssss", and a remarkably good H. I was so impressed! After I squealed and praised him and did a little proud-mama-dance around the living room, he hurriedly took a large helping of blue paint on his brush and covered up the letters so I'd have no proof of his genius. (He's very modest, you know.) So I don't have a picture or a page to put in his memory box, but now I at least have a memory. It was a wonderful day.

And to go back to my comment about life happening too fast, Josh has also started trying to dress/undress himself, turn on his own videos, heat up his own chicken nuggets in the microwave, "read" books to himself, open up his games on my phone, boss around younger kids, and tie his own shoelaces. He's practically ready for high school! (Except for the whole potty training thing. But come on...you've seen high school bathrooms. Some of those teenagers have definitely not figured out how to use a toilet right.) 

AND he gives the most precious, gentle hugs to my belly these days that I think he's finally understanding that there's a real baby boy in there. It turns my insides to goo and makes my eyeballs sting. He's going to be such a good big brother.

2 comments:

Amy and Mark said...

Precious!! oh Mimi you're such a good mom! You look amazing. And you're raising a little genius. Write as many memories down as you can and I'll try to live through you! haha

E B said...

Ahhh! He's so cute. Hopefully you can find him a better high school to set his sights on :).