Thursday, July 21, 2011

Josh's 3rd Birthday Party

We had a couple families over for dinner to celebrate Josh's birthday this year amid all the crazy moving/vacationing hullabaloo of June. Don't tell Josh this, but I didn't even go out and buy presents this year. I just wrapped up the gifts Matt's mom left for him and found a Pez in the cupboard that I hadn't used as a bribe yet. But hey, he had a ball anyway, and I knew he'd get a better party with my family in Redding the next week. 


Grandma gave him a luchador Superman cape,

which Carson promptly demonstrated how to wear correctly, including the proper intimidation pose.

Josh showing me his new temple picture, very solemnly and reverently of course.

Grandma also gave him these cool animal finger puppets.

Josh gets so excited about blowing out birthday candles. (No matter whose birthday it is!) Even if his lame mom doesn't even make a real cake and instead sticks a candle in a pile of cookies.

As long as there's FIRE!!!

I love how Brooklyn's face lets me know exactly what part of the song is being sung in each picture.


It was a fun night. Earlier that day, I kept explaining to Josh that it was his birthday, so we could do anything he wanted. I offered to take him to the zoo, the park, the museum, the store to pick out a treat...but all this busy little boy wanted to do was watch TV. ALL DAY LONG. So that's what we did. I figured after weeks of constant running around with family and friends, he deserved a day to relax. I also convinced him to take a bath with his new bath "smarties" (that's what he calls them), which turn the water colors. It's the only trick I have to get him clean these days. 

I think for my next birthday, I'll follow suit. I want a whole day of just relaxing, watching TV and sitting in the tub, with a whole plate of homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies all to myself. And then dinner with friends and my very own luchador cape. Sounds perfect!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Love it! I can't believe he's three already.

The Conquistador of Chaos said...

What size luchador do you wear? Also, that picture that has the caption "as long as there's fire!" Josh's face cracks me up in that.

Sarah McM said...

Happy Birthday, Big Man! Sorry we missed you in Redding. FROWN.