January 22 -- Matt and I made our own vanilla extract. Or at least started the process. All you do is slice a bunch of vanilla beans in half, scrape out the insides, and stuff everything into a bottle of vodka. Then you let it work its magic on the shelf for a few months. By definition, vanilla extract has to be at least 35% alcohol, so this vodka worked perfectly at 40%.
January 23 -- Used my black crackle nail polish that I got for Christmas. Love it! You just paint the black over another color and it slowly separates to make a cracked look. Your paint job can look messy but it's okay because that's how it's supposed to look! Oh, and don't mind the gross feet. I don't get pedicures often. Just focus on the polish and love me anyway!
January 25 -- Took one of those vanilla beans and made creme brulee! Recipe from Alton Brown. Creme brulee is just a fancy overpriced dessert that really isn't difficult to make. It only calls for five ingredients. (I guess six, if you count the blow torch.) BUT, it is super fun to say and has a delicious texture. We couldn't eat them that night because they had to chill for a few hours, so we enjoyed them over the weekend.
January 26 -- Cooked with fresh fennel. It's kind of like the texture of celery but has a unique flavor, a little like black licorice. Made a really delicious mushroom fennel soup that night. (Sorry, it seems like this week has revolved around new food. I'll try to branch out a little next week.)
January 27 -- Met some new neighbors. Hung out with them twice in one day, actually. You know the high you get when you meet someone and think...Hey, we kind of click. We could be really good friends if I don't mess this up with my weirdness. That was the feeling I came home with. One that I've had many times since we moved here, but one that is compounded by the fact that they live only a few houses down. It's such a relief to know that there are a handful of people I can call right on my street if I need anything...a cup of sugar, some adult conversation, playmates for my kids (theirs are the same ages). We hit the jackpot with this neighborhood.
January 28 -- Used a blow torch for the first time. Those things are scary powerful! If I wasn't afraid of Josh getting his hands on it, I might start keeping it under my bed for protection against home intruders. This time I just used it to toast the sugar on my creme brulee. Can you now see why my husband wanted to make this? A great excuse to buy a blow torch. (And that's about the only thing he did to help.)



4 comments:
How fun - I love the polish and the tupperware! Good luck with the neighbor friends, that's awesome.
Love it!
We made vanilla extract for christmas gifts this year. People always get a little buggy eyed when we tell them there is vodka in it... but that is now worse than the actual extract you buy. It makes the best cookies i tell you!
oh my goodness that creme brulee looks DIVINE! Sam is a special sucker for creme brulee so we'll have to make it when we come there... sometime... don't know when... maybe this weekend...maybe not... nobody knows...
And that crackle nail polish! I'm sad we didn't use it when you were here! So cute!
Now... post a picture of your new friends---because although I'm thrilled for you to have wonderful new friends, I just need to make sure we're cuter than they are.
And if they are indeed, cuter than us, please just post a picture of some uglies and tell me it's them.
New friends, if you read this, I'm just kidding.
But seriously.
Post a Comment