Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Fireworks and Wagons

I can't believe summer is almost over. July flew by, and I'm kind of panicking right now. August will be here in less than two hours! And then comes autumn! I feel like I'm about to be robbed of warmth and sunshine and there's nothing I can do about it! 

Anyway, here's how we celebrated the holidays in July.

For Independence Day, our friends invited us to the Midland Country Club. They had a huge party there with bounce houses and slides, water balloon games, pool games, dance contests, a ton of food, and of course fireworks if you stayed until dark (which means 10:00 pm here). We had a such a great time that we stayed later than planned, and ended up pushing our other plans for the night later and later.






When we got home, we grabbed a plate of s'mores cookies and rushed over to our neighbor's house to catch the end of their barbecue. We met a bunch of interns and Josh learned to play corn hole.


After that, it was getting really dark, so we walked a few houses down to the Smiths' to see if they wanted to light sparklers and glow sticks with us. They had already done fireworks and were in their pajamas, but we dragged all the kids back outside to have some more fun. I have no pictures, but it was a really fun night. Josh's favorite part was the party poppers.

After that super late night, the boys slept in every morning for weeks. There were days when I had to actually walk into their room and get them out of bed after 8:00! It was like magic! 

-------------------------------

A few weeks later, our church had a Pioneer Day picnic. This is a Mormon holiday, when we celebrate the day the pioneers made it to the Salt Lake Valley, after being forced out of their homes in Nauvoo and other places in the east. 

The party was so well organized! We played games like the pioneers, dressed like the pioneers (some of us), and of course, ate a lot of pie. Josh did not want to leave, he was having so much fun.


Josh and Sam played "stick pull" quite a few times. Josh didn't win every time, but I happened to get a picture of him in a victorious moment.


They also played with these little toys made out of jar lids, streamers, and string. After spinning them in circles for a few seconds, the boys quickly figured out how to use them like nun-chucks and start a good old fashioned street fight.



Matt took part in the stick pull tournament, but lost after a couple rounds. I guess the baby sunglasses weren't as intimidating as he thought.


Sorry, Shannon. For the record, Clark beat Matt right after this.


They also had a table to color pictures of covered wagons, or decorate a paper patchwork quilt. They had a button game, a balance scale game, three-way tug of war, a scavenger hunt, dance instruction, and a program that we couldn't stay for. Again, it was so well done! I can't remember the last time I actually had fun at a pioneer day event, but this one was awesome.

There was live pioneer music,


and a children's parade. They got a few young men to play trumpet, saxophone, and drums while the kids (meaning mostly Mimi the primary chorister) sang "I Will Be Valiant".


Matt and Jude bonded over pie on the sidewalk.






And this is what happens when I try to make them sit still for a good picture. One or both boys revolt.


I promise I was there too. I'm just never pictured. Just imagine a giddy, sweaty mom running around with pie in both hands, and that's me.

3 comments:

Amy and Mark said...

When did Jude get so huge?!?! Mimi your boys are giant.

Shanny said...

I didn't even know Clark participated in the stick pull! We basically arrived at the party, and then split up unintentionally. So thanks for the photographic evidence :)

Sara said...

Oh my goodness, Jude is THE cutest little boy ever! What a stud!