July 8 -- Made another recipe from the Our Best Bites cookbook: Bacon artichoke penne bake (p. 159). Pretty easy and quick, and really delicious! If you've been reading my blog all year and still haven't checked out Our Best Bites' site or ordered their cookbook, I'm telling you you're missing out!July 9 -- Cleaned my vacuum filter. Apparently I should have been doing this at least once a month. It's been a year. That's what a good housekeeper I am.
July 10 -- Got lunch from Panera, which is brand spanking new to Midland. I tried the drive thru, and ended up waiting 30 whole minutes from start to finish. Thirty minutes in a drive thru?! With hungry, tired kids in the back seat, that could have been disastrous! I'll have to wait until the newness wears off and people are less excited about it before I go back.
July 11 -- Had some brown bananas, so Josh suggested we make banana bread. I tried a recipe from a Mormon cookbook, but it was pretty unclear and I ended up over-baking it. HOWEVER, that same day, my friend Melissa happened to bring over a piping hot loaf of her homemade banana bread to share, AND my neighbor Lyndi also sent some yummy banana bread over with her husband to thank us for lending them our lawn mower. So, I was lucky enough to sample three different recipes in one day. Such a funny coincidence! Josh loved it, and always wanted to know whose loaf he was eating from.
July 12 -- Watched the first episode of "Justified", a TV show that involves absolutely nothing I'm interested in. Guns, blowing stuff up, cops, cowboy hats... no thanks.
July 13 -- Two things. Ordered a strawberry slushie at the the country club pool (our friends invited us) and it was so good I had to force myself to share with my thirsty boys. Also, Matt downloaded an Associated Press app on my phone so I could become more politically aware by at least reading through news headlines. I have to say, I felt pretty cool when an Obama ad came on TV and I actually understood what he was bashing Romney for. (Yeah, that's how bad I was.)
July 14 -- Tried an Edy's pineapple popsicle. (Edy's = Dryer's if you live out west.) These fresh fruit popsicles have been our favorite since I was pregnant with Josh, and we're always really excited when we discover new flavors. I think pineapple is my new favorite.
July 15 -- Had a bunch of new people over for dinner. They just graduated from BYU and came here to be trained in Dow's CDP program (translation: sales). Such nice people! They're all younger with no kids yet, so I knew the only way I'd get to know them was to invite them over. And people took good care of us when we were new to Midland, so I've been trying to pay it forward.
July 16 -- Bought a used bike trailer from Craigslist! I've been looking for one of these for months. We have already used it three times, and both boys love it. I get a little workout, they get to be outside, and it's an easy way to keep them contained without involving a electronic screen of any kind. That first day we tried to ride all the way to Larkin Park for play group and a picnic, but sadly we ended up turning back because it was insanely hot outside. We came home and had our picnic in the family room instead.
July 20 -- Picked ten pounds of blueberries at Russell's Blueberry Farm. This place is great! I heard about it from someone at Dow Gardens and was not disappointed. These are the biggest, most delicious blueberries I've ever had. Most of the farm was planted back in the 1940's, so they have amazing root systems. Most importantly, the boys had fun. Jude could not stop picking and shoving the berries straight into his mouth, and Josh was talking to himself the whole time about how "awesome" and "delicious" they were, reminding himself to only pick the blue ones. Nobody wanted to leave.
July 16 -- Bought a used bike trailer from Craigslist! I've been looking for one of these for months. We have already used it three times, and both boys love it. I get a little workout, they get to be outside, and it's an easy way to keep them contained without involving a electronic screen of any kind. That first day we tried to ride all the way to Larkin Park for play group and a picnic, but sadly we ended up turning back because it was insanely hot outside. We came home and had our picnic in the family room instead.
July 17 -- Brought the net to volleyball and learned to set it up. Heather is out of town for a couple weeks, so I'm sort of filling in.
July 18 -- Got a copy of "Keep the Commandments" in Spanish from Lyndi. Thinking about working it into the Primary program this year, but we'll see.
July 19 -- Watched the 1985 version of Clue with Matt. It's nostalgic for him. Pretty funny, too. It's hard not to laugh at a movie made in the '80s.
July 19 -- Watched the 1985 version of Clue with Matt. It's nostalgic for him. Pretty funny, too. It's hard not to laugh at a movie made in the '80s.
July 20 -- Picked ten pounds of blueberries at Russell's Blueberry Farm. This place is great! I heard about it from someone at Dow Gardens and was not disappointed. These are the biggest, most delicious blueberries I've ever had. Most of the farm was planted back in the 1940's, so they have amazing root systems. Most importantly, the boys had fun. Jude could not stop picking and shoving the berries straight into his mouth, and Josh was talking to himself the whole time about how "awesome" and "delicious" they were, reminding himself to only pick the blue ones. Nobody wanted to leave.
July 21 -- Magic Milk Straws. Matt's mom sent some to us, and they're actually pretty cool. You pour a glass of milk and suck it up through these straws. Flavor balls are stuck inside, so as you drink they kind of disintegrate and make it taste like strawberry or chocolate milk. Magic! Come on over and try it out. We have hundreds of them!







No comments:
Post a Comment