We planted a for-real garden this year! Boxed-in and everything! We definitely did NOT do it all right, but we got a lot of good produce and it was a learning experience. Here it is right after planting...
And here's a flash forward to August.
Josh spent a lot of time learning how to read this summer. He has become such a smart little man. Reading is hard work at the beginning, and we are so proud of what he accomplished.
Before we bought land and built a house, I had NO IDEA how much work it would take to keep up with the yard! I was out there every day doing one thing or another, and there are still plenty of projects that will have to wait. But fortunately, I had some great helpers.
We planted a small plot at Dow Gardens and took the Growin' Gardeners class again. Josh soaked up more of the lessons this year, and was more interested in helping to care for everything. You can see how meticulously he's planting those radish seeds.
The most exciting day for the boys (and most stressful for me) was when we made our ninja turtle scarecrow. We made a huge mess, and it turns out our scarecrow didn't do much to protect our garden anyway, but he looked pretty cool in the end.
Josh started playing with these small perler beads. (He calls them "smally beads", as opposed to Biggie Beads.) I just had to take a picture of this one to show his attention to detail. Notice how this design seems to make no sense at first, but is PERFECTLY SYMMETRICAL. I don't know where this kid came from, but I'll keep him.
Jude had a summer of weird bloody noses. I found him one morning like this and just about had a heart attack until I figured out what happened.
He also had a couple of fever/ear infection weeks this summer. June was a sick month for him, if you can't tell by this pathetic little face.
But sickness has its perks -- lots of really good snuggles.
Josh's obsession with fight moves continues...
...as does Jude's obsession with scissors and wrapping presents.
June brought our second piano recital, and this time we held it at our house. I was nervous that all my students and their families wouldn't fit, but it worked out nicely. The snug little atmosphere was great, especially for the younger ones.
We had treats right after the recital, which happened to be leftover cookies and cake balls from a baby shower I threw earlier that day. I was so busy that week!
As the weather got nicer, we spent more time outside and fell back in love with Michigan.
And finally, for your viewing pleasure, I give you the secret for how to protect your trees from deer in the summer.
You're welcome. :)
1 comment:
These are great! Pictures and activities both.
Post a Comment