Dear Josh,
You turned seven last month. It's weird for me, because while you still feel like my baby boy, you are so smart and mature in some ways that I feel like "seven" is too young for you. I tend to expect a lot from you because I know how capable you are, but I have to remind myself that you're also just a little boy, with childlike sensitivity and determination that are still hard for you to control.
I love so many things about you. I love your focus and your drive, when something is really important to you. Right now, that's video games, building, and reading. I love that you love to read, and that you want to know everything about what interests you. And even though I'm supposed to get mad at you for this, I secretly love that you stay awake long after you've been tucked in to read Harry Potter.
I love that you play with Jude and teach him new things. I love that you are sweet as sugar with Adele and that you try to help her learn to walk. I love that you give me the biggest hugs and kisses at bed time.
I love that you are determined and even stubborn. It's not always easy when I'm trying to get you to listen to me, but it will be a very good trait when you learn to apply it well. I love your independence and ingenuity. Those bookmarks you've been making and selling at school are proof of your ambition. And I know you want to be a diamond miner when you grow up, but I'm still pretty certain you could be a rockstar engineer with that amazing brain.
I love your missing front teeth and your hundreds of freckles. I love the back of your tan neck against your super blond hair. I love that you hold my hand when we walk together. I love that you always prefer shorts and flip flops, just like your dad.
I love to hear you laugh, and I love that you are easily entertained by knock knock jokes. I love to watch you hit a baseball and shoot a basketball.
I love that you are cautious, and that I don't have to worry about you hurting yourself everywhere we go. You help keep our family safe, especially your little brother.
Joshy, I'm so happy to have you in my life. You are a super cool human. Love you times a million!
Mom
P.S. The rest of this post is all about the many ways (and many days) we celebrated your birthday.
First, we took Creeper brownies to your classroom and everybody gave you the sweetest birthday compliments before letting you take the coveted first bite.
Ms. Nyberg sure loves you!
Here are the friends that came to your party: Zeke, Sophie, JD, August, Miles, Brandon, Kian, Jack, and Jude.
Your real birthday was on Sunday, which also happened to be Father's Day, and also happened to be the last day we could celebrate Daddy's birthday before leaving for Redding without him the next day. So you were kind enough to share the attention.
You were also really nice to let Jude help you open presents. We did it first thing in the morning!
Adele kept trying to grab the phone while I took pictures of you. Silly baby!
You really wanted chicken pot pie for birthday dinner, so Daddy taught you how to make it. You're already a great chef.
I won't post all your birthday videos here, so ask me about them later. Here's just one, so you can hear your cute seven-year-old voice and see how excited Jude and Adele are for you.
Happy birthday, my favorite seven-year-old!
No comments:
Post a Comment