Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Quick update on my boys...


Josh is still potty training. It is the biggest roller coaster we've ridden with him thus far. Every day has the potential to end with me shouting the Hallelujah Chorus to myself, or curling up in the fetal position in tears on the cold, dirty, urine-soaked floor. I have no idea how wet or dry underwear can cause such emotions in a parent, but it is happening. We're getting through it. Today was a very good day. No accidents! Probably because I let him pee outside on a tree in the rain once, afraid we wouldn't make it to a toilet if we tried to scramble inside with all our rain gear. But hey, I call it a victory! Josh thought peeing outside was hilarious though, so I hope he doesn't ask to do it every time we go the park from now on.


Just so you have a sense of Josh's personal style lately, here's a look at how we roll around here.


Underwear and rain boots, apron optional. And yes, he did pee directly into those rain boots while helping me with the dishes that day. Chores are just too exciting to be interrupted with bathroom breaks, I guess.


This little contraption I'm wearing is a cheap-o version of the Moby Wrap. It is Jude's new favorite place to be. If I ever need him to fall asleep or be content for a while so I can get something done, I just snuggle him up in there and he's happy as a clam. I guess the real Moby Wrap is pretty expensive, but this is just a really long piece of stretchy fabric that I tied a certain way. And it only cost me $8! Thanks again, Mardee and Eva. It's the best!


Today was rainy again. I'm wondering if spring will ever come around here for more than a few hours at a time, or if we'll just jump right into the blazing humid heat of summer. I'm getting very bored of finding fun indoor activities for Josh, but luckily he's become pretty good at entertaining himself lately. 



Today we were in the Tot Lot and he did something that kind of blew my mind. Not because it was super awesome, but because it's exactly what I used to do at his exact age. He took four board puzzles, dumped out all the pieces, lined up the boards, then mixed up all the pieces so he'd have to figure out which ones went where. As if one puzzle wasn't enough of a challenge! Funny kid. I eventually had to help him finish the last one, but I was so impressed listening to his thought process as he talked himself through each piece.


As for Jude, I am in love. Very very tired, but in love. He isn't the best sleeper yet, though he's better than Josh was at this age. He would sleep snuggled right up next to me all night, if I let him, but I'm trying to make him sleep in his own bed so I'm not up half the night worrying about smothering him. 


On Monday Jude was seven weeks old. At his one month appointment, I think he weighed 8 lbs. 7 oz., meaning he had gained more than an ounce a day since his one week appointment. He continues to put on the chub little by little, finally getting some good cheeks to smooch. Although he was attacked pretty ferociously by baby acne and a little cradle cap, it's starting to clear up nicely. And his eyes look like they are definitely going to stay blue, so there you go -- just a couple more things that make him almost the exact same baby as his older brother. It's like deja vu.

3 comments:

Kevin, Rachel & Claire said...

We seriously have the SAME life right now. We are STILL doing potty training with Claire too, with good days and bad days. Today was bad, I ended up crying on the phone to my mom. I love how he peed in his boots! So sorry. I just got a new rug for my bday and Claire stood right on it today and says, "Ta-da!" as she peed on it. Awesome. Also Brooke is a total copy of Claire, but also a better sleeper...probably because I am making her since I don't want a repeat of Claire's sleep issues. Are you the same with Jude? They are sure cute!

E B said...

I'm glad Jude likes the wrap! Hyrum doesn't particularly. He prefers to stretch out at every opportunity. But I don't have to hold him all the time!

Carina said...

Those rain boots are just too much! So, so cute!!! I'm sorry the potty training has been rough. It is definitely the least favorite of the milestones for me, thus far. Too bad there isn't a magical solution that worked on all kids.

Jude is the sweetest heaven-sent baby ever!! It makes me sad to think come June, I won't be around to see him grow up. Babies change so much in the first couple of years of life. We'll have to plan weekend gatherings as frequently as possible!