JOSH
"When pretzels are salty, does that mean they're RIPE?"
(He asks if everything is ripe...cereal, crackers, candy.)
"If I throw toys at my walls, will they fall down? Just like in my song, Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho? Where the last line is the walls come tumblin down?" (We have to listen to this song every time we listen to "Hey Jude" to make things fair.)
Mom: "What word starts with the letter Q?"
Josh: "Oh I know! QUBA!!!" (pronounced like Cuba)
Mom: "What does Quba mean?"
Josh: "It's a really big instrument."
Mom: "Oooh, you mean like a tuba?"
Josh: "Yeah, but it's a QUBA."
Personally, I like that name better. The Q kind of fits the shape of the instrument, too.
When it's time to put on pants or a jacket, and he'd rather wear shorts, I tell him he'll be freezing if he doesn't bundle up. This is his argument every time: "Cold keeps me from getting hot, remember?"
This is how time out has been lately. Josh sits in the piano room crying until Jude secretly crawls up to the door and plays with him through the glass. Sneaky little brother. I'm glad they like each other.
We get in the car and Josh hears a few seconds of Taylor Swift's "Romeo and Juliet". He immediately recognizes it and says, "Oh, this is the song that says to stay away from Julia!" Not sure if he was talking about his Aunt Julia (who is 13) or his potential girlfriend Julia from preschool, but I'm sure their dads would agree that it applies to both.
Aunt Julia...
Preschool Julia, as Josh protects her from the advances of another young suitor by grabbing her hands in the death grip and quickly spinning in circles to conveniently knock him out of the way...
Last week he was playing Angry Birds on my Kindle. Later that day Matt asked if I bought anything on Amazon recently. He had received an email saying thank you for buying Curious George Season 1 for the Kindle. I guess Josh taught himself how to buy stuff online! So much easier than just stealing money from my wallet...?
Here is a little video of him turning a spatula into a catapult.
He was really interested in learning about bones one day, so we brought up a skeleton picture on the computer. In showing him the pelvis, he found and pointed out "the peeing bone!", which turned out to be the coccyx, or tail bone.
Matt brought home some beautiful orchids for my birthday. I went to sniff them and Josh asked, "Mommy, do those flowers smell delectable?" How in the world does he know that word? Nerd. I must quote Brian Regan too much.
Several months ago in the car:
Josh: "Mom, it must be hard to do what God does."
Me: "Yeah, it must be."
Wondering where he came up with that thought...
M: Did you hear that on Scripture Scouts?
Josh still pondering, didn't answer
M: What does God do that's hard?
J: Mmm...I do NOT know.
Thinking hard again...
J: Maybe...he shoots cannon balls!
He made up his first recipe! He really wanted a hot dog for dinner, but we had no soft bread to act as a bun. So I looked in the fridge and said, "We only have hard bread or tortillas." He said, "Let's use a tortilla! And I want cheeeeese around my hot dog too!" Thus began the creation of the cheesy blaster, which is basically a quesadilla rolled up with a hot dog inside. (A little different from the 30 Rock version, but we're stealing the name.) Matt came home and was immediately jealous of Josh's dinner, even though I had homemade chicken pot pie waiting for him.
And as I type this, Josh is pushing a chair from the kitchen table over to the fridge and getting out a hot dog for himself. It's 11 a.m. I can't think of a more disgusting mid-morning snack. I should go steer him toward the chocolate cake...
Now for
JUDE
Jude doesn't talk or walk yet, but he's been busy. He's been growing lots of teeth, which have made for some terrible nights.
He raids the pantry at every chance, pulling every reachable item off the shelves and dumping them out on the floor.
Here's a favorite activity -- pretending he wants to snuggle me, and then...
...mischievously dropping a bomb of drool all over my face. Can you see it? Would you like some? There's plenty to share.
He wants to eat everything, so he's learning how to use his teeth. Baby food is too boring for him, unless he can stick in a spoon and try to feed himself (which usually means flicking food all over me and the kitchen). He's also learning to like formula milk, since I'm trying to wean him before our big trip.
But above all, his favorite thing to do is watch and play with his big brother. Here, he just woke up from a nap and is craning his neck to see what Josh and his friend are doing that sounds so fun. You can see the longing in his eyes.
He's getting really good at wrestling, and is already learning how to tease his big brother. Jude LOVES to tickle Josh. This might be the cutest video ever. Best for last!














3 comments:
Oh my heavens! THESE are so dang cute! Haha! Josh wondering if the walls will come tumbling down? That is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. I'm sorry to hear Jude hasn't been sleeping well. His looks haven't been affected by his lack of sleep. He's just as cute as ever!
Once again, I am signed in under Linc. Doesn't he leave the sweetest comments?
-Carina
My kids are now in the kitchen trying out Josh's spatula catapult :)
Post a Comment