Saturday, March 03, 2012

Try Something New : Week 9

February 26 - Played Bingo with the Primary kids in church to choose which songs we would sing. Success! They loved it. (At least the older ones did.)

February 27 - Went to a new place to get an oil change. Fulfilled the stereotype of "dumb blonde" many times over by knowing nothing about my own car when the guys asked me questions.

February 28 - Started reading my Rick Steves guide book to get ready for our Italy trip! Spent two whole days researching sites and planning out each day.

February 29 -- Reserved our tickets to the Vatican!! I've never bought anything that was priced in Euros before, so this combined a few different firsts for me. Have I mentioned how excited I am about this? Very. Very very very very very very.

March 1 - Met my friend's sweet new baby girl. I will eat you up Madison!

March 2 - Made green eggs and hash for Josh in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. He loves colored food these days. I tried making hash browns out of fresh raw potatoes so I could use up the rest of the bag, and it was a sticky, mushy disaster.

March 3 - Tried a new auto place to get a headlight and taillight changed. Gave me a headache from so much cigarette smoke. Gross. BUT, they didn't charge me for the service, so...I guess I like them.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Italy! Italy! Yes! I'm sorry I've been so lame about commenting lately (you read why on my blog) but these lists are just getting more and more exciting! Online purchases in EUROS??! This is all too much.

And what the crap happened with the hashbrowns? I've never made them before but something that would seem so straightforward makes me all self-conscious to try anything in the kitchen ever again!

PS--the snowball throwing was unstaged! Can you believe it? I know. I just wish I would have been able to catch the whitewashing I gave her afterwards on camera...

Holly said...

The trick with making hash browns from scratch is cooking the potato first just as a baked potato, in the oven wrapped in tin foil, then you let them cool, then you grade it and cook it up. All that starch will seep out and you have to get rid of it. (like rinsing it out) if you cook it raw and graded. Good luck. I usually buy the frozen kind so I don't have to worry about it..... But it is nice to know when you've cooked too many baked potatoes for Sunday dinner and you have extra. Just grade them all and put them in the freezer! Thanks for sharing, Mimi. I love reading your posts.

Carina said...

I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting your trying something new from this past week....ITALY! I am on pins and needles and am hoping for a FULL report with LOTS and LOTS of pictures. I am so jealous but so happy that you guys can enjoy that time together. You have definitely earned it after the past few years.