Sunday, March 18, 2012

TSN: Weeks 10 and 11 + ITALY preview

We're back! Back from Italy, that is. NOT back into a normal routine and sleep schedule. NOT back into the level of Mom Mode that doesn't seem constantly scatterbrained. (Does that mode even exist?) But physically, I am back in this chair in front of my computer in my home.

I can give a more detailed report of our amazing trip as soon as I get all the pictures together. For now, my "Try Something New" post might seem pretentious and annoying as I flaunt some of the favorite new things I experienced over the last two weeks. Try not to hate me. And I will try to stay focused on only the favorites of each day and not be too long-winded.

Try Something New: Week 10

March 4 -- Flew across the Atlantic Ocean for the first time! Also lost our passports in Detroit. No big deal. Found 'em. Started reading Crossed, the sequel to Matched. I am such a teenager.

March 5 -- Got my passport stamped in Germany during a layover. Withdrew Euros from a bancomat (ATM). I felt like I was using Monopoly money the whole trip. Why is foreign currency so funny to me? Seriously, the ten Euro bill is pink and small with a shiny metallic ribbon on the side, and the coins look like Chuck E. Cheese tokens. How is that real life??

March 6 -- Walked through the Colosseum. I know I use the word "awesome" a lot, but this was literally AWE-some. Sitting right there next to a busy intersection and metro stop, it looked like it was going to keep crumbling right into the crowds. I felt like I needed to be reverent there. We also saw the enormous Vatican Musuem and St. Peter's Basilica that day, and were disappointed with our first Italian gelato.


March 7 -- Missed my son's birthday. Jude turned one. I am the worst. Also saw the Pantheon in Rome. It's definitely in my top five.

March 8 -- Walked the same streets as Michelangelo in Florence. Climbed to the top of the Duomo through tiny little stone staircases and hallways that would probably give my mom a claustrophobic panic attack. Coolest thing ever. Also saw the David at the Academia, and I will call that the coolest thing ever too.

March 9 -- Uffizi Gallery. Admired some of my favorite paintings by Botticelli.

March 10 -- Saw a beautiful Michelangelo Crucifix in Santo Spirito church. Did the most expensive loads of laundry ever at an Italian laundromat. (Meaning the machines were expensive to run. The clothes in the washers not so much.)

TSN: Week 11


March 11 -- Train ride to Venice. It is as beautiful as it looks in all the pictures and movies. No cars allowed. Not overwhelmed with sites. Made for and supported by tourists. Matt calls it Disneyland for adults. (Even though, as an adult, I still think Disneyland itself is pretty awesome.)


March 12 -- Took my first vaporetti ride. It's a water bus through the Grand Canal of Venice. Found the world's best gelato.

March 13 -- Toured St. Mark's Basilica and St. Mark's Square. This is the one with a million pigeons, where everyone tries to get pictures touching them. It is disgusting. But the basilica was amazing. It's like walking into a treasure chest, there is so much gold. Also, I'm sure you'll want to know that I used a bidet for the first time. There was one in each of our hotel rooms, so on the last day, I couldn't resist.

March 14 -- Flew home. I watched Tower Heist on the airplane and tried to get into Mad Men, but failed. Sounds kind of boring after all the rest, but it was actually nice to be able to sit for a whole day instead on walking for hours and hours. We were tired.

March 15 -- Was not recognized or warmly welcomed home by my baby. This had never happened before. It took Jude a couple hours to decide to like me again after I abandoned him. (Even though he reached for Matt right away. Jerk husband.) Another new thing -- played with a tomato splat toy that Matt got for Josh in Venice. It's pretty funny. I will show you when you come over to visit.

March 16 -- Back to normal life. Designed a garden plot for our Dow Gardens class this summer. I am so excited to learn how to grow stuff! Also tried a new recipe for shish kabobs because it was warm outside and perfect for grilling.

March 17 -- Played basketball at the church gym with some girls (and a couple guys). Why can't we do this every week?? It was so much fun! That night I tried a new cobb salad and blue cheese dressing recipe. Matt said it was the best salad he had ever eaten. Thanks again, Our Best Bites Cookbook. You make me look good!

5 comments:

Carina said...

Nice teaser. It will have to suffice for now until we get the full on pictures! LOVED it! I want to be sitting in the tot lot right now and hearing every single detail,not caring if our kids are falling apart, starving and nap deprived. I miss those times, especially when I want to be with you and see you describe all the amazing adventures you experienced in beautiful Italy.

Shanny said...

Sounds like it was FABULOUS! I can't wait for all the details.

Jedda said...

Yipee! What an awesome week! I can't wait to see photos. And I'm so glad you found some amazing gelato! Seriously, why don't we have that here? It was fun to "re-live" while hearing your descriptions of those places since it's been 10 years since I was there!

Lyndi said...

Ohhh, it sounds just wonderful. I can't wait to hear more since I'll have to live vicariously through this blog.

Melissa said...

LOVED reading this!! So glad you are back :)