I know a few of them.
Last Thursday, our little family caught the Dow air shuttle to Houston. Matt was going for meetings, and I was missing my girly friends terribly, so we all went together and enjoyed 3.5 days of hot, humid fun. Each of the four nights was spent in a different place, so while it was a little hard on the Judebaby, it was worth playing musical mattresses for a weekend.
First stop, THIS GIRL.
Amber is my good good friend from Chicago times, when our husbands were getting their MBAs. Her family actually spent that first summer in Midland living in our neighborhood, because her hubs was interning here as well. I can't get enough of her! We spent a wonderful 24 hours catching up and wrangling little ones and chatting like old times. It was such a tease! Just made me realize what kind of friend I'm missing every day!
Jude and William have developed a love-hate relationship. Sometimes they would play together fine, exploring each other's faces with their hands. But Jude, not understanding that there are other creatures in the world who are his same size AND crawl really ridiculously fast, screamed bloody freaking murder every time William crawled toward him in excitement. He was so scared! It was the same as his reaction to dogs! What a weird kid, that Juder.
Josh and Avi love each other and get along beautifully, as usual. Here he's teaching her how to play his LeapPad. I can't believe how much they have both grown since they met!
We even got to see a little of this busy Mark man.
That night we went to the park to eat our yummy Mexican take out. Jude did NOT like the pokey grass on his hands and legs when he crawled -- so much that it motivated him to walk! He took his first few steps in Houston!
Here is the video:
Funny enough, Josh took his first steps at about the same age (14 months) only because he didn't like crawling in the bark on the playground in Chicago. Yet more proof that those two are the same baby reincarnated.
Josh and Aiden had non-stop boy-fun once Aiden got home from school. He is three years older than Josh, but is so good to play with him. Josh was in heaven. I understand, buddy -- I always wanted an older brother too!
It was nearly impossible to get Josh to stop running around for a picture. There were tears and refusals, but we eventually made it work.
Just look at those red cheeks! That's the sign of a good time!
After a fun little sleepover, and delicious crepes the next morning, we drove up north to Tomball.
That's where we saw THIS GIRL.
Sarah grew up in my hometown and home stake. She actually babysat me once, because she's a few years older. Somehow we have become closer with distance. We keep up with each other's blogs and I am obsessed with her adorable children. We haven't seen each other in real life for years...maybe since Provo days? But she and her family met up with us for Texas BBQ Saturday night and we had a lovely little time.
Last stop, THIS GIRL.
Lindsey was my roommate for two years at BYU. Then we both got married. To roommates! Matt introduced her to his mission buddy/roommate Johnny that second year, and they've been together ever since.
Lindz was my best friend that first year in college. We went through a lot together. She is one of the only people who has seen the entire Mimi-Matt relationship from its juvenile beginnings. We shared classes, clothes, cars, and even crushes a little bit. (I didn't intend for all those to start with "c", by the way. Let's throw "food" in there too, to break the alliteration.)
Lindz and I have kept in touch even while we've lived far apart these last six years. When we get together, it's like nothing has changed and no time has passed. There are many moments when we revert to our college selves, and I LOVE it. We're talking belly-aching, face-hurting laughter over things that should not be funny. I was way overdue for some of that.
![]() |
| "I'm thankful for my hands!!" |
Like that. Why was that moment so funny to us?!?
Speaking of overdue...my Lindsey is pregnant!! Due in October! We are so flipping excited for her! She and Johnny are going to be such amazing parents.
At Lindz and Johnny's house, Josh learned how to walk a dog. I wish you could see his face better in these pictures because he LOVED it! He was giggling the whole time, loving his chance to be in charge of someone smaller than him. It was adorable. I would say totes adorbs, but I know you're already thinking that.
Matt and Johnny, mission buddies.
Johnny was so good at entertaining our boys. He played Life and Legos with Josh, and carried Jude around (who was too afraid to be on the floor with the nice dogs). Matt and I actually didn't even have to deal with kids the first hour of church because our friends kept them quiet and happy. Like I said, they are going to be amazing parents!
And here we are, yet again, forcing Josh to pose for the camera. His shirt was just too handsome that day. Had to show my mom. This will be her reward if she actually reads my blog this month.
On the way home, the boys were completely wiped out from all the fun. Josh fell asleep while putting a goldfish in his mouth. It stayed that way until he woke up an hour later. Not joking.
We miss you, Houston friends! Please come visit us when your summer gets too hot to bear!




















2 comments:
I am sooo glad you were able to go visit your friends in Texas! It was fun to see all the picts and hear about the fun. I'm totally jealous that you were able to see the Dowdles! I can't believe that Josh and Avery have grown so big!! Time is flying too quickly!!
Love it! Midland is too far away.
Post a Comment