Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Try Something New: Weeks 18-19

I realize this is really really late, but that's the kind of month it has been so far. Here are the new things I've tried over that last two weeks. Enjoy.

April 29 -- Used a new hair product my hairdresser sister gave me called Hair Play Sea Salt Spray. It's supposed to make my hair look all wavy and beach-y, but it definitely did not work right. Sorry to everyone at church who had to see that! I understand if you laughed a little behind my back.

April 30 -- Met a really cool new gal. (Gal??? Using the word gal makes me feel old, but what else do you call a new friend? Woman and lady sound too old, but girl is too young. Let's go with female peer.) Anyway... I get to visit teach her now, so we chatted for a bit while my kids tried to tear her living room apart. She's a keeper.

May 1 --Went to women-only Tuesday volleyball for the first time. So much fun. Great work out. It motivates me to get in better shape so I can play longer without getting tired.

May 2 -- Listened to a new song called "Home" by Dierks Bentley. New to me, not new to the world. As requested, I wrote out an easy piano version on staff paper so one of my students could play it. I love when kids get excited about the music they're learning!

May 3 -- Flew into Lake Jackson, Texas. It was so green! Matt saw wild pigs, and we almost hit a real turtle sitting in the middle of the road! I love seeing new places.

Not my photo, but seriously this is a thing.

May 4 -- Visited Amber's house in Houston for the first time.

May 5 -- Visited Lindsey's house in Tomball for the first time.

May 6 -- Devoured Lindsey's sweet corn tamale pie. Mmmm...so good.

May 7 -- Created a Pinterest account! Can you believe it?! I finally gave in! My friend Amber emailed me a recipe that day for homemade fudgsicles made with Nutella. Can you even imagine?! That's when I decided that if Pinterest could bring wonderful things like Nutella fudge pops into my life, it would be worth all the hours spent pinning.

May 8 -- Attended my first preschool board meeting. I volunteered to be the social chairperson for next year, so we'll see if I can pull it off. I was given the award for "Most Likely to be PTA President" by my dorm-mates as a BYU freshman. (Ha! They were so wrong!)

May 9 -- Made a new recipe: chicken and artichoke casserole. Can you believe that it was surprisingly delicious, even though it came from a very Mormon cookbook?

May 10 -- Met two ridiculously nice women in random locations at different parts of the day. This is not usual for me. I'm kind of shy in real life, and tend to keep to myself around new people. Whenever we move, I have to give myself a big pep talk before going to church and whatnot so I can summon the energy to be sociable and make new friends. So reaching out to have full conversations with strangers twice in one day was a notable experience for me. Comfort zone expanded!

Not tempting in any way...
Maybe I'm not American?
May 11 -- Ate a turkey bratwurst. A bratwurst. Seriously, I did! Part of one, anyway. Our neighbors had us over for dinner and, among the really delicious array of side dishes, the main course choices were hot dogs, turkey brats, or chicken sausages. These are three "meats" I have always steered clear of, along with pretty much anything else you can put in a long skinny bun. Certain foods easily gross me out because I'm a weirdo. BUT, I faced a fear that night! I ate half of my turkey brat, and didn't even gag once. In secret, Matt whisper-exclaimed, "I don't even know you anymore!" All for the sake of appearing to be a considerate dinner guest.

May 12 -- Shopped at Off Saks with my hubs. It was surprisingly pleasant! I didn't look at one thing for myself, but got to dress up my Matt in fancy suits without any children pulling on me or interrupting. I'm not a big shopper by any means, but that outlet mall could be a LOT of fun. Matt and I spent a couple hours buying work clothes for him on our way to the Detroit Temple that day, hence the lack of kids. I will be definitely be going back.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Reading your blog makes me WANT to blog again! So fun :)

E B said...

Chicken and artichoke casserole sounds delicious to me right now. Recipe, please? (This is Eva)

Mike and Melissa said...

I'd rather eat my toe than a hot dog!