Friday, October 19, 2012

Chica-GO!

October 3rd was a crazy and wonderful day. Just five minutes after Matt and Jude got home from Utah, our friends the Bischoffs pulled into our driveway from Boston. So many of my favorite people showing up all at once!! We had a really fun evening together. We made delicious food, caught up on each other's lives, played a game, watched the debate, and stayed up late. I LOVE all the people in this picture.



It's a good thing we packed so much excitement into our evening because Matt had to leave town again the very next morning. (Story of my life lately.) Boo-ooo! 

The rest of us stayed home to relax and play! Sorry Matt.



I'm so lucky to have a talented photographer for a friend. She takes cute pictures of my kids and shares them with me.


On Friday, the eight of us piled into the Bischoff's van to make the six hour drive to Chicago. (Matt met us there.) We had pretty good little travelers. It helps that these munchkins love each other so much.


That night we dutifully ordered Giordano's pizza right away, and let the kids get tuckered out in the hotel pool.

Saturday was spent in the city! There were an extra zillion people in Chicago that weekend for the marathon, but that didn't spoil our day. We walked Michigan Avenue with the boys, stopping to look at every flower, sculpture, horse, bus, everything. We made it to the Lego Store, which was Josh's only request that day, and the American Girl store for our little friend Brooklyn.


On our way into the mall we saw some people walking with these beautiful styrofoam cups, and had to find our way to Jamba Juice! (Is it silly that we get so excited about that? You wouldn't understand unless you lived in a town with no smoothies! You mock my pain!)


After swimming again that night and picking up some yummy Mexican food, we went to bed early for the sake of Linc. He (and his family) had to get up at 5:00 and be well-rested for many hours of running the next day.

The marathon made it really hard to drive downtown, but when we finally caught up with our friends, we found a great spot right before the finish line to watch for Linc. Of all cities to run a marathon in, I must say that Chicago is a lovely choice. It was a beautiful day in a beautiful city!


Apparently, Josh didn't agree. He was sprawled out on the sidewalk, covering himself with every spare piece of clothing he could find. In his defense, he was feeling sick with a cold, but it didn't make him look any less homeless.


Linc finished his run in amazing time! Here is Matt taking in Linc's post-marathon musk. Because that's what friends do. And they like it.


This is my love, Carina. I wish she still lived two floors above me and could bring me a hot loaf of delicious "Carina-bread" when I have a bad day. She made all the difference in Chicago.


After Linc cleaned up, our friends needed to hit the road for the long drive home. But not without stopping at Portillo's for some good grub and reminiscing. 


The next day, Matt had meetings and I was left to party with the boys Chicago-style! (That means no ketchup.) Also, with no stroller. Because of this, our walk to see the Bean (Josh's request) took up a good chunk of the morning. You can't tell from his cheesy grin here, but all Jude wanted to do was run directly into traffic. Not exaggerating. We were stopping for time-outs all the way up Michigan. 


After taking some pictures, high-fiving our reflections, and stopping at Jamba Juice again, we caught the train to Hyde Park. I think the boys would've been happy if we had spent the whole morning on the train, but another few stops would've put us in a bad neighborhood, and we didn't pack our switchblades.


Hyde Park is a neighborhood in South Chicago where we used to live. It was fun and nostalgic and bizarre to be back there, but weird not really recognizing anyone anymore. It's not the same place without our old friends. But, we ran into Ivan (the wonderful building manager) and had to take a picture with him. Also pictured below: our old mailbox, and the one and only Tot Lot.


Another important reason we revisited Hyde Park was to see Sarah and her family. Her husband interned in Midland over the summer, and we became good friends. They might even be moving back here next year!


After Matt's meeting and lunch at our beloved Prosecco, he met us at the Tot Lot. We said our goodbyes and headed home to Midland, with two extremely tired boys. They were so good on the way home. But with lollipops and glow sticks, who wouldn't be?


The moral of the story: Go to Chicago more! I can't believe it was our first time back!

1 comment:

Carina said...

Can I just copy and paste your post right into my blog? I just posted the time we spent together in Michigan. I am in a total funk again! I can't believe that the time came and went so quickly. I miss my Mimi!!

It was unbelievably fun to spend time with you guys. I can't stand the fact that we don't live closer to one another!

I'm glad you were able to ride the train for old times sake. How fun to be able to see your friend living in the Fairfax. Gosh! For all the complaining we did, I can't believe how much I miss that tot lot. It brings back so many wonderful memories. Thanks again for having us and being such a wonderful host!