Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Something New: Weeks 38 and 39

Alright. Three months left. That's roughly seven more of these posts. I can do this...

September 16 -- Learned a new word I had never heard before, and this is terrible because now I can't remember it at all. Septa....something. No idea. Can't even remember where I read it. I'll think of it eventually. I also watched some new episodes of Prison Break. Does that count?

September 17 --  Started reading Taking Back Childhood. It's about how childhood these days is saturated with media, violence, and too much time indoors. It explains things we can watch for and things we can do to give our children a better childhood experience. I like it so far.

September 18 -- Bought a slide toy for my boys. I've been looking for one for more than a year, and finally found one that happens to be (again) the exact model I grew up with! Dejavu from last week! It was a great week for used toy purchases. I tallied it up, and for only $43 total, I brought home a bike for Josh, a play kitchen, food and dishes, a kid picnic table, a basketball hoop, and a slide. Not bad. Not bad at all.


September 19 -- Made doll clothes for Jude's new baby doll. We had to make sure it looked like a boy, so I took some scraps and threw something together. It's amazing how much more that doll gets played with now that he's not naked!


I also tried a new recipe: pineapple salsa chicken in the crock pot. It was pretty good, and super easy. A jar of salsa (or whatever I could cook up in the blender, in my case), a can of crushed pineapple, two cans of black beans, and some chicken breasts. Shred and serve over rice. Easy peasy.

September 20 -- Took Jude to a new pediatrician, Dr. Grossman. I like her SO MUCH, and so does Jude, which is what matters. He's still a "midget", according to Matt, measuring just below the 50th percentile in weight and height, but his head is still huge in the 90-95th. Like Sputnik.

September 21 -- Tried a new recipe for dinner, using quinoa. I've found that healthy stuff really just doesn't taste as good as unhealthy stuff. But I have to keep trying, and this recipe wasn't awful. At least I get this nice view from the stove:


September 22 -- Went to Leamann's Green Apple Barn with our whole little family. We've been there before, but this time we completed their scavenger hunt. They send you all over the farm to read posters and fill in facts about bees and apples. It was actually really interesting to learn about. And guess what the prize was for correct completion? Six free delicious apple cider donuts. Worth it!



September 23 -- Started reading the new book for book group, God's Smuggler. It's a true story about Brother Andrew who was a secret Christian missionary behind the Iron Curtain. I've really enjoyed it so far. The fact that it's true makes it so much more interesting.

September 24 -- Checked out the new Galaxy III Samsung phone at the Sprint store while I was getting my piece-of-trash phone fixed. It looks really nice. It has this feature where your phone will only unlock if it takes a picture of your face and recognizes you as the owner. How cool is that?!

September 25 -- Watched part of an episode of "The Mindy Project", a new TV show with Kelly Kapour from "The Office". (Don't tell Matt. We watch all our shows together, and he was out of town when this came on.) I'm sorry to say that it's not anything exciting. Disappointing even.

September 26 -- Tried a few new recipes for dinner. We were feeding the missionaries, and one of them requested steak fajitas as his last meal from us before he went home. I'm not a big fan of steak, but the guys seemed to like dinner. Here are the links to the fajitas, the rice, and the beans.


September 27 -- Got a new book in the mail, Eat This, Not That for Kids. It talks about healthier food choices for kids in different restaurants, at the supermarket, and just in general what they need. I like it so far, and Josh surprisingly likes to look at the pictures too. He's already telling me what cereals I shouldn't buy for him.

September 28 -- Watched a trailer for the new Les Miserables movie coming out on Christmas. I cried twice! What is with me lately?! It's going to be amazing. I can hardly wait. I was so excited that I went on Amazon and bought a book of Les Mis piano music, a CD of the original Broadway cast, and  downloaded the looooong book on my Kindle just to prepare myself. Obsessed? Seriously though, you have to watch this!

September 29 -- Sent Jude away on an adventure with his daddy. I've never left Jude to Matt's care for more than a few hours at a time, so this is kind of a big thing for me. Matt left for Utah to recruit at BYU, and since Jude is free and Matt has family in Utah, he took Jude along. Grandma Cheri met them in Provo and took care of Baby Destructo while Matt worked. I hardly knew what to do with myself! Josh is such an easy child right now, so to have only him was like a vacation. A very weird vacation in my own home.

3 comments:

E B said...

Whoa! A vacay like that sounds great!

Lindsay said...

We cannot wait for the Les Mis movie!! BTW, you probably don't remember making this comment, but a while ago I posted a picture on my blog of Cosmito's feet with a white background. You said that you would have a picture like that hanging on a wall in your house. I just chose 16 pictures to do a photo wall and it was so hard to narrow it down to 16, but that one made the cut. If you hadn't made that comment I probably wouldn't have even remembered that picture. So thanks!

Jody said...

Quinoa is a tricky one, but I have a few recipes that I like. Let me know if you'd like them. I add it to soups a lot, too. Gives it more texture and thickness.

Your Les Mis obsession? I GET IT. I got all teary watching the trailer, too! I'm getting teary just now thinking about it. I think I'm pretty much going to just bawl through the entire movie.