I can't look at these pictures without feeling sad about all the wonderful people and places we left behind in Midland. And our house. I really miss our house. Here's how our last couple weeks went in our little town.
We had two babysitter nights in a row -- one for an a capella concert by Straight No Chaser, and one for a Christmas dinner at Matt's fancy boss's house. Christmas sweater time!
I spent some time enjoying my children before the chaos of moving started. Jude actually fell asleep in my lap one day, so you KNOW we were sitting there for a while.
See the Elf on the Shelf in the background here? That was another focus of December. This was our first year with our elf, Taylor McTuttle, and the boys just LOVED it. I hope he comes back every year. And I hope Adele always smiles this much.
My house is never ever ever this clean when we are living in it. It only becomes this way in a frantic hurricane of sweat and labor the hour before a showing, but I must say, it cleans up nicely.
In order to keep things tidy, we had to confine our play space to certain areas of the house. It was fun when Adele was able to stand at the Lego table without putting things in her mouth. But I'm afraid those days are gone forever -- now she eats everything!
Puzzle time. This picture could be from any day of the week, because we do this together pretty much every day.
We caught up on dentist and doctor appointments that month, because you know how un-fun it is to find new medical care when you move. This was Jude's first dentist appointment, and he did so well! Josh wouldn't even open his mouth for them on his first visit, so my expectations were low. Way to go, Jude! The dentist said he loves "the way Jude's teeth come together", and Josh has lost his extra tooth in front.
My twin boys watching a show together. When you share a snack, it just seems right to share a chair too. Even when there are five others available.
Nice view!
I couldn't leave this photo out. Had to show you how Josh makes his sweet little nieces laugh on FaceTime. It may have been their dad in the background this time, but it sure made Josh feel good.
The piano calms and excites Adele. She will sit here and bang on the keys until someone makes her leave. She's my first baby to experience a piano regularly from such a young age, and I hope she always loves it.
Matt went home to Arizona for a few days for his close friend Paul's funeral. So the rest of us got creative with some activities. I like how they're both trying to be good and look at me for this picture, but are sneaking candy from the gingerbread house at the same time.
The reason for this cute hat is the Dow Gardens Winter Walk. I took the kids there just to get out of the house while Matt was out of town. It was pretty warm for December, actually. I think it was in the high thirties, and all the beautiful ice sculptures were melting!
We had a popcorn and smoothie movie night, and a McDonald's play place night.
They made this amazing pipe cleaner web creation and managed to not break my chandelier.
We had a piano recital for my few remaining students. This is Daniel and Lucas. They did a great job! We had the recital in a classroom at church, and it was completely overcrowded. We combined with my friend Adrienne and her students, and a lot more people came than expected. I think it turned out alright, but because I was trying to watch all my kids and set up and host the recital, I didn't manage to get a good picture or video of my boys' performances. Josh played "Jingle Bells" and "Everything is Awesome", and Jude played "Hot Cross Buns".
Here we are at Holman and Sid's house for pizza dinner to say goodbye. They are such good friends! Also, the James family let us hang out at their house during a couple of showings, and my volleyball team took me out for smoothies before our game that last night in town. We're really going to miss our Midland friends.
Backpacks packed and ready to go to Grandma's house in the morning!
The last night at our house, the Glenns came over to see us. They were in town from California for Christmas and we were glad to squeeze them before we left.

Well...so long, Midland. It's been real.
I'll finish with a message I posted on Facebook, because it sums up how I feel.
*It's done. We have officially left Midland, and most of our little family probably won't ever be back. That's a crazy thing. I'm sorry to the friends I didn't get to say goodbye to. This all happened so fast and it has been a whirlwind. I just want you all to know how much I love and appreciate you. I was so impressed with the quality of people I had the pleasure to know and work with and play with in Midland. I'm talking to you, volleyball girls, book groupies, Primary work force, Bible study ladies, piano families, play group neighbors, and pretty much everyone else I ran into at the grocery store on a regular basis. You made Midland my home away from home, and I will always be grateful for that. Now, you all better come find me if you're ever anywhere near Seattle!*

2 comments:
I'm just glad I'm not in midland, because this would be so much harder! Also, I love your Christmas sweater. And Adele's buns!!
Miss you!!! xoxox
Post a Comment