Monday, March 23, 2015

28

My birthday was not looking very exciting. It was the first weekend in February, and we weren't going to throw a party with friends we didn't even know yet. So my mom and Julia decided to drive up to visit again. I didn't think they'd stay away long, but I didn't expect a visit just three weeks after they left! It was much more fun than that last one -- I'm telling you, furniture makes a difference!

They got here Friday around lunch time, and I only let them rest a few hours before dragging them downtown.



It had been rainy all day, but the sun came out later and it turned out to be the absolute perfect evening to ride the ferris wheel.




The clouds were perfect, the colors were perfect, the view was perfect, and there was no line to wait in.






My mom was trying not to panic the whole time. Claustrophobia mixed with a fear of water (and possibly heights) kind of distracted her from the dreaminess of her surroundings. But she stayed tough, and we're proud of her.



The next day, we had brunch at a place called Grub. While we waited forever for food, Matt kept the boys (and the rest of us) entertained with a game. We had a few minutes to look around and memorize everything we could about the restaurant, and then we had to close our eyes while he asked us questions. The kids really liked it. I recommend it. I also recommend finding a husband like Matt.




After that, we girls went shopping while Matt walked kids home. Of all the stores we could have chosen, Target was the lucky winner. We're simple folk. I picked out some birthday presents and some cutesie clothes for Adele, and we hunted for Baskin n Robbins on the way home.

The next morning, I woke up to these lovely decorations, courtesy of my mom and Julia. They brought the Happy Birthday banner from home, and it has hung at every single Madsen family birthday party since...maybe 1997?  At least all the parties at home. That thing will never die.


My birthday was on a Sunday, and Matt I were both asked to speak in church. On my birthday. Did you hear that? Less than one month after our arrival in the ward. ON MY BIRTHDAY. So off we went to get the anxiety-inducing part of our day over with, first thing. I think it went alright. Julia was very proud of the birthday outfit she picked out for me. 



That afternoon, we made yummy bacon corn chowder, Mardee biscuits, and Stephanie salad. Many of my recipes are forever named after the people who gave them to me. Recipes are like time capsules for me, so full of memories. My mom also made a chocolate cake with just a hint of espresso powder to make it extra delicious.



This crazy man bought me the most unexpectedly exciting surprise for my birthday -- TAYLOR SWIFT CONCERT TICKETS!!! She's coming to Seattle on my half birthday, so I have plenty of time to finish memorizing her new CD and find the perfect shade of red lipstick before the big night. 


My beautiful Clive cousins came over to celebrate with us.


I have nice friends. Alexe took me out for a fancy Italian dinner that week and gave me a pretty glass vase. And my new friend Courtney sent me this sleep mask, after commiserating about our sleep problems.


Steph and Sara stayed until Tuesday morning. Monday was filled with sister errands and a grandma-grandson walk to frozen yogurt.




One in rain boots, the other in flip flops. They've lived so many places that they're weather-confused.

I'm grateful for another wonderful weekend brought to me by my family!

No comments: