December graduates don't get much of a hurrah for finishing mid-year. Especially the ones who finish up through Independent Study. I have the option of flying out to BYU to walk at graduation in April, but that would be expensive, bad timing, and just not worth it for me.
However, my graduation did not go uncelebrated. In Redding, my mom took me shopping and called all my new clothes Christmas/graduation presents. Matt's parents sent me a beautiful gardenia plant in November after I sent in the portfolio for my very last class. And finally, in Arizona, they held a surprise graduation ceremony for me in Judge Snow's courtroom!
It was on a Sunday after church so we were all still dressed up in our fancies and no business was going on in the court house. The family all took their seats in the jury box, except for Murray who was the honorable master of ceremonies. Andrew played "Pomp and Circumstance" on his ipod while I marched through the big back doors, down the isle, and up to my comfy rolling chair in front of everyone. I'm a little bit nervous about being the center of attention, so I felt kind of silly, but it was fun. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the bright yellow cap and gown I was supposed to wear (a set from Matt's high school) was forgotten at home. Darn.
To my surprise, this was a legitimate, planned program. Matt's grandma stood up and told a story about her own experience going to BYU, and the struggle and sacrifice she faced to attend this school without any support from her parents. It really made me appreciate the support system my family has been and the fortunate circumstances in my life that have made it fairly easy to get an education. Then Matt's dad said a few words about how proud he was and the determination it takes to finish school once you've left campus and started a family. He mostly just puffed up my ego so I won't mention any more details here. It was very, very nice.
Then apparently it was my turn to give an off-the-cuff "valedictorian" speech. This was difficult, since I'm the kind of person who can't even bear my testimony in church without thinking it through first. I kind of just spit out some thank-yous and didn't know what else to say, especially since I didn't have any fellow graduates to congratulate. A big "Yay me!" London-Tipton-style didn't seem quite appropriate, even though that's secretly what I wanted to do.

After the "speeches", Matt posed in the tradition of shaking my hand and handing me a diploma, and the family brought me some gorgeous flowers and loaded gift cards. Yes, I've already spent them. Josh had the most fun strolling around with my little pink and red gift bag slung over his shoulder like a true shopaholic. A little too femme for Matt's liking, but I thought it was cute.
And of course, what's a party in the courthouse without some pictures sitting on the judge's throne?
My real diploma came in the mail yesterday. Look, Mom and Dad! PROOF that I was really doing schoolwork this whole time! I wasn't making it up just to make you proud!

-------------------------------------
Now for a couple of random AZ moments. One day over break, the three of us were able to drive to Gilbert to visit some of our friends from Matt's Accenture days. Jack and Megan recently had their first baby, a beautiful little boy they call Trey. He was so precious! I was a little worried that Josh wouldn't like me holding another baby and would get jealous and aggressive. But when he noticed me sitting on the floor with little Trey, he walked over, bent down really close, seemed to evaluate the situation in his head for a minute, then pointed to Trey's little ear and said "baby's ear!" He was sooooo sweet and gentle as he stroked the baby's hair and pointed out all his facial features. He even gave Trey a little kiss on the forehead! That just melted my heart. Nothing makes you baby hungry like watching your little one act so grown up and gentle with a newborn.

There were a lot of gorgeous Arizona days around Christmas. One day the family decided to hit the driveway to play some basketball. Playing sports with family has got to be one of my favorite things. When we grow up and become a real family with a real home, we will definitely have a sport court available for our enjoyment 24/7. Anyway, Josh really got into it. He worked up a sweat chasing balls all over the yard.
A gentle game of tug-o-war?
Josh and his best friend (Grandma or the dog? Which picture is this caption for? I guess we'll never know...)
I can't. Get. Over. This. Picture. He looks like such a big boy with a secret agenda. Such an expression of mischief and avoidance of guilt. I don't know who he's looking at, but he's pointing at Matt as if to blame him for something that Josh clearly did. Two pointed fingers + shifty eyes + furrowed brows + bulging gut = "Don't MESS with the boss!"
Andrew teaching Josh a new cheer?? Keep those arms straight and strong!
Watch out for this sneaky little prowler peeking through your window.
Matt and Josh hogging some Christmas popcorn while Bailey watches with longing eyes. Matt really is the best dad there ever was. I don't know where that comment came from. I guess this picture reminds me how much fun they have together.
We miss you, Arizona. And sunshine. Hopefully we'll see you soon.
9 comments:
I love love LOVE that pic of Josh pointing his fingers!!!!
And Magna Cum Laude?! You didn't mention you finished from home in STYLE.
WOW. What thoughtful, fun in-laws you have. Seriously, I don't know what I would do if Sam's family even recognized my graduation, let alone honored/acted out/celebrated it! You are a lucky girl. And very deserving, too!
Speaking of deserving... did I see magna cum laude on your diploma? You sneaky little smarty pants! So proud of you!
Oh, and all of those sunshiney, outdoors pics put me in an immediate winter funk. Screw Nauvoo for spring break. I want Florida!
First of all serious props for finishing up school, and finishing with style....now I have two questions:
1. Why is Matt wearing a sweater...in Arizona...
2. What is making those outdoor pictures so bright and shiny? It seems like I've experienced gloriousness like that before but I can't quite remember what it's like.
Happy Graduation Mimi!
I am beaming with pride as if you were my child!! What a lot of hard work and sacrifice the schooling must have been for you.
Matt's family rocks!!! They are very thoughtful and must really love you a lot!
Brooklyn & Carson loved all these pictures. They kept pointing at Josh and asking all about each picture. How great is it that we get to live just 2 floors away?
P.S. Linc has NEVER before commented on a blog till now. He was so overly impressed and excited for your graduation that he couldn't resist commenting.
The reason for the sweater was that my white shirt was wrinkled underneath. Why iron when you can just put on another layer?
You were here and we didnt even see you!! Congrats on graduating. Doesnt it feel good?
Yeah for graduating! That's something to be proud of.
And the shirtless wonder is just cracking me up. The peeping Tom photo made me laugh out loud!
Post a Comment