Tuesday, January 05, 2010

We're Back! (not the animated dinosaur movie...)

WARNING: This post is very much like a journal entry. Few pictures, lots of words, probably boring to you, but necessary for record-keeping purposes. Proceed only if you have nothing better to do.


After more than five weeks of enjoying family life on the beautiful, warm, heavenly west coast, we are back in Chicago! We all flew out to Redding for Thanksgiving and Matt returned a few days later to finish his last couple weeks of the school quarter. We figured it would be easier to burn himself out studying if Josh and I weren't around to distract him. Meanwhile, Josh and I got to stay in California and play with Grandma, Grandpa, Great-grandma, Aunt Julia, Uncle Steven, and even Aunt Melissa. It was so wonderful!! I got to sew, watch movies, crochet, do puzzles, cook, shop, eat junk food, play the piano and guitar, watch Julia's basketball games, and taxi kids around all day every day. It was a much needed break! I know I sound like a total nerd admitting all the lame things I like to do for fun, but after so much time working on school every free moment, the creative part of my brain needed an outlet. I finished a lot of cool projects while I was there, which I'm sure I'll brag about later.

After finals were over, Matt met us in Tempe to spend Christmas break with his family. Spending time together without any schoolwork (for either of us) or interviews or schmoozing events was absolute bliss! And with Grandma Snow taking over pretty much all of our childcare responsibilities, we were able to enjoy every minute of it. This freedom just makes it that much harder to accept the start of a new quarter this week, but somehow we'll manage. Arizona fun included two awesome days at Disneyland, hours and hours exploring new games on the Wii, seeing the super cool new Sherlock Holmes movie, a surprise family graduation ceremony for me in Matt's dad's court room downtown (very fancy!), lots of sunshine and family time, seeing Matt's friends from high school, Josh reuniting with his best friend (Aunt Stephanie's dog Bailey), and me desperately trying to fit all of our Christmas presents into our luggage without exceeding Southwest's weight limit. As always, a grand old time.

Now, here we are in our cozy little apartment, settling back into a routine, close to great friends, and happy to be home. As wonderful as vacations are, especially with family, living out of a suitcase gets kind of old. What surprised us all was how much we appreciated reconnecting with our shabby little place. We are happy to be happy to be home, if that makes sense.

There's nothing like being back with your own STUFF again. A magical moment occurred when I sank down into our enormous Tempurpedic bed for the first time in over a month. Matt and I will both tell you it is our most prized possession (and that includes our car). And my kitchen! My tiny little kitchen that I've cursed so many nights for its nonexistent counter space, lack of a dishwasher, freezer that doesn't seal, and too-hot oven...I was even happy to see that! It had been so long since I was able to cook in my OWN little workspace that I actually forgot where to find the bowls the next morning.


Josh was equally as excited to be home. We got home late at night and he was asleep in my arms as we walked in. But as soon as we closed the door, his head popped up, he smiled, kicked his legs until I put him down, and ran to his old toys. I could just imagine his funny little thoughts as he tried to greet each toy as fast as possible and play with them all at the same time, while still a little unsteady and groggy from his nap on the ride home. The next day, I asked if he wanted to go visit Campbell (his same-aged second cousin down the hall), just to see how much he remembered. Immediately upon hearing her name, he looked up, dropped what he was doing, and sprinted to the front door. (He's gotten pretty fast in the last month.) He knew exactly where to go and knocked on the Clives' door until we figured the girls must be napping. (Sorry if we were too loud, Mardee!) Josh didn't get to play with little kids very much over the break (except in Nursery, which he started a few weeks ago and LOVES), so he's been pretty spastic upon seeing his old friends lately.


Now I know what you're thinking....Mimi, stop sugar-coating everything! Don't you miss your family? Isn't it hard to go back to doing all your own laundry and cooking and cleaning and changing all the dirty diapers yourself? Isn't it unbearably freezing in Chicago? Here are my answers: OF COURSE we miss our families -- it's impossible not to! I've found that I actually enjoy doing all the mom/housewife stuff now that I don't have school weighing on me constantly. And Chicago is surprisingly not as freezing and snowy as I expected. Yes, the wind is killer to exposed body parts, but it is possible not to freeze if you cover yourself up like an Eskimo. And that's only for long walks. Quick skips out to the car are pretty bearable so far.

My only worry is if Josh is warm enough when we're outside. (Our apartment is like a sauna!) He can't really tell me what part of himself is cold or uncomfortable yet, so I just have to guess. He's been pretty funny when we've gone out the past few days. I'll get him all bundled up and carry him so we can share body heat, but when we step outside, he gives this little chuckle and says "Ooooh, cold!" like it's fun. Then after a few seconds, he squints his eyes like his face is hurting (which it is, from the biting wind), and eventually burrows his face into my neck until we reach the car. He hasn't seemed whiny about it yet, or turned blue, so I feel like I'm doing my job.

Matt, on the other hand, walks to and from school. A mile each way. In the negative temperatures sometimes. However, even being the Arizona boy that he is, he assures me that he doesn't really get cold. We bought some good winter gear and he has been pleasantly surprised with how bearable winter has been. (Probably because we set our expectations so low that anything would've seemed alright.) His first class starts tomorrow, and I guess we'll see if he's still happy once another storm hits.

Matt has one less class this quarter than last, but also a TON of information sessions, lunches, applications, and interviews to worry about in the next few months. Not to mention PRESSURE to secure a solid internship for the summer that will most likely affect his entire life's career path. Yikes! (I'm glad it's him and not me.) Business school is crazy, especially here, where the University of Chicago is known for its rigorous curriculum. But he does a great job keeping up and making me proud. We're excited for all the opportunities this year will offer!

Coming soon: I have a disgusting amount of pictures from Arizona. I'll try to filter through them to post only my favorites...buuuut I have a really cute kid. So there might be a ton. Just be excited!

3 comments:

NatAttack said...

Welcome back to winter, huh?

It was lovely seeing you and that adorable baby of yours in Arizona. His sunny demeanor is surefire credit to his mother!

Sarah McM said...

A surprise graduation ceremony? That is amazingly cool of them. Post pics of that if you got any.

Amber said...

So glad you had a great holiday. Now, it's time to have some winter fun in CHicago!

I adore the pic of JOsh from behind. It is just so funny. He looks like a little preadolescent. It cracks me up.