Friday, January 22, 2010

Christmas Snapshots

I'm still trying to catch up from Christmas so I don't forget any of the wonderful details of our trip. Matt's family has a few unfailing Christmas Eve traditions. Way more than in my house growing up, so it's really fun to play along. A big one is their Christmas Eve dinner and program. Each year they invite a bunch of people over who, as my in-laws explain it, "don't have anywhere better to go" (as if there were such a thing as a better offer). Usually it's a random assortment of ward members and old friends. Matt's dad always make Swiss steak and a yummy yule log cake, which are traditions he learned on his mission in France. After dinner, everyone there has to perform some kind of talent, whether it's singing, sharing a Christmas story, or something more creative. One year someone actually taught a quick origami lesson, and another ate an entire pumpkin pie for his talent. It's always a good time. This year, like most years, I played the piano while Matt and his siblings sang. I almost broke out "Joy to the World" on the harmonica, but didn't want to ruin the nice reverent feelings that developed. Here are the pictures from that night...


Laughing with funny Aunt Stephanie


With this expression, I feel like Josh should have a cigar in his mouth instead of a sippy cup. He looks like a mobster offering someone a sleazy deal.





Steph's devious grin shows how much fun she had with that whoopy cushion. I still have no idea where it came from.


The Ma and Pa working in the kitchen.

Some of our lovely dinner guests...


Every year, this wonderful woman makes the most delicious twelve-layer jello and brings it over. It's legendary. It's worth more than gold at the Snow house. Really -- if you don't stuff your face as fast as possible as soon as it's served, someone else might eat your share and you definitely have no hope of getting seconds. It's that good.


A tradition with the yule log involves a small toy that is hidden inside the cake. Whoever finds the toy in their piece gets to be "king/queen for the day." It just so happens that this lovely lady found the toy and got to proudly wear a crown all night. (A little secret: it was her birthday! We totally rigged the tradition for her. Sneaky, I know.)


Christmas morning was a hit! Josh was old enough to actually enjoy the wrapping paper AND the toys this year. And I wish I wish I wish I had captured the look on his face when he came out Christmas morning and saw the treasures Grandma and Grandpa had set out for him. This picture in his new little tent and tunnel set will have to do. I think the drool and wide eyes capture his excitement pretty well.

Crossed eyes? They won't let him fly a real plane like that.

Matt found a yummy can of cream of chicken soup in his stocking. Lucky boy.


Mr. and Mrs. Claus were pretty pooped later that morning. And with good reason! (Sorry Cheri, I couldn't resisit!)


It was so nice to be somewhere warm enough to play outside with Josh! He loved that old swing set!


Josh with pretty Aunt Michelle, all dressed up in their Christmas presents for a family lunch date at Red Robin.



How 'bout that? Warm enough outside that the fountain water combined with the wind doesn't freeze a toddler's hand off!




Our little African tribal prince! He would put this box on the ground and then turn almost upside-down to jam his big head into it. Weird kid.

One more post about Christmas coming soon! Then I'll be done. Promise!

No comments: