Thursday, February 25, 2010

Need a Reminder?

Yesterday it snowed here in Chicago. This morning, the "real feel" was seven degrees when Matt left for school. SEVEN. Last year at this time, it was about sevenTY degrees warmer than this where we lived in Arizona. If I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, this might depress me. BUT, we have had some scorching days in the thirties lately, so as far as I can tell, Spring is just itching to get started. We've almost made it through our first Chicago winter! 

I realized this the other day when I went out to my car and needed to rinse the windshield from some dirty water spots. Usually I try the wipers and the cleaning fluid with no success, since one of our wiper blades is broken from freezing to the glass over Christmas, and the fluid hadn't been unfrozen in months. But guess who got little warm fuzzies inside when she realized that the windshield cleaning fluid could squirt out all by itself in liquid form? ME!!! It felt like summer at that moment, with the sun shining into my car, warming the black leather seats like it's supposed to, and slowly melting every flake of snow that it touched. 

Then it snowed again a few days later.  And we're back to normal winter. 

In case everyone here forgot what warm weather is like, I decided to put up some pictures from September when we spent an afternoon at the beach on Lake Michigan (just a few blocks east) with our Clive cousins. This is to remind you what a wonderful place Chicago is in the summer! Here's what we have to look forward to in just a few months!


Taking our babies out with no socks on! Thereby decreasing our dirty laundry!

Tanks tops and shorts on the beach! (Heaven!)

More exposed baby skin to munch on! 

Sweet sandy kisses!



More beach work out videos with Campbell! 
You know you want the secret for how she gets such nice legs!


Oh yeah...it must be her awesome dance moves...


...that she probably learned from Cadence.

"O vos iniquos...."  This picture reminds me of one you'd see at church, where an old prophet is symbolically looking away from a wicked city in disappointment and despair. And then...destruction!!! Maybe it's just his face.


Checking out the water...considering his options...

...testing it out....

...then quickly snuggling up against Daddy to get warm again.


I guess the water wasn't too cold for a my crazy cousins. Just look at their faces! They're crazy!

Campbell's Uncle Trevor (my first cousin) left Chicago soon after we moved here. He's always loads of fun! We all miss him.

 Good bye for now, lovely beach! We'll be back as soon your water unfreezes! (I'll spare you a picture of the lake right NOW. We want to end with warm, happy thoughts.)

3 comments:

Carina said...

Oh, yeah! This is what we love about Chicago. I had almost forgotten with the dreary days of winter. I am just happy that it has been a fairly mild winter as far as Chicago's winters go.

I CAN hardly WAIT for to go to the beach again. Yes! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for reminding me.

Vanessa said...

OH.MY.HELL. I'm sorry for cursing on your blog just now but I had to let you and everyone who may read this comment know how serious I am. I'm having three overwhelming feelings looking at this:

1) I'm about to cry in longing for the dreary days of perma-PMSing (also known as WINTER) to be over!
2) The munchkin photos in this post are TOO MUCH! Including Josh's "Oh Jerusalem" photo (brilliant! props!) and Campbell's smokin' hot gams! I have never!
3) And Spencer is officially ridiculous for swimming in Lake Michigan. I'm sorry. I've always known he was a little ridiculous. But now he is OFFICIALLY ridiculous.

Thanks for this little glimpse into the joys to come!

Oh, and both of you---your comments on my blog are solely responsible for coaxing me back from the edge. You don't even know. Thank you so much. I am so lucky.

Mardee Rae said...

good reminder, mims. I'm especially excited to see more babies in swimsuits. But don't get too excited--spring can be long and dreary around here. But it's still spring.
Love it. May we beach again soon.