Saturday, April 03, 2010

Angsty Notebooks

This morning I had a very interesting and nostalgic walk down memory lane. Josh was being such a good boy entertaining himself, and Matt was gone, so I took advantage of a few quiet moments of privacy to pull out my old writing notebooks from high school.

What I discovered:  a whole lot of reasons to be terrified of having an adolescent daughter someday. 

I think the randomness of this notebook might be the only thing that convinces me how all-over-the-place my brain and emotions were as a teenager. It's frightening how different I was on the inside compared to how others must've seen me. Aside from the occasional church talk outline or General Conference notes (which were so out of place that they added to the schizo-feel of this collection), here are some of the contents of my old notebooks:

~ a bunch of hate songs I wrote about stupid boys
~ ridiculous, embarrassing, dramatic notes written between my friends and me during class
~ poems about my Mr. Perfect, who I was sure I'd never meet because the world basically sucked
~ lyrics to a Good Charlotte song that I rewrote to portray my hatred of bimbos
~ a note I wrote to a boy, but chickened out and never delivered
~ more than one mention of my "blue-eyed husband" (Matt's eyes are brown)
~ lyrics to a couple of Nsync songs, written out so I could memorize them faster, of course
~ my attempt at being artsy and spiritually insightful, paralleling the Gospel with nature in ways that make absolutely no sense
~ funny poems about my crazy family during the holidays and several very sentimental poems/letters for them
~ a poem called "High School Drama" that is written with more teenage angst than I ever thought myself capable of possessing
~ countless doodles and pages of random rhyming words (must've been a way to jump-start my imagination)
~ a couple of pieces about "who I am", with huge exaggerations and made-up quirks that I included because I thought they sounded cool or worked well in the rhyme scheme

~ a handful of unfinished melodies, which oddly enough, I remembered perfectly before even reading the music, like they've been stuck in my head for years...much like a crazy person
~ a very critical analysis of my family members when I was sixteen and had a severe case of Jan-Brady-middle-child-syndrome

I think a part of me secretly thought I'd be Avril Lavigne when I grew up, complete with black fingernail polish and a permanently P.O.ed expression. If not, I thought I'd at least write songs for her about life being unfair and about giving boys the Finger. But on the outside, I think people had all different kinds of ideas about me. Nerdy? Studious? Shy? Awkward? Tomboy? Bishop's-daughter-good? Bishop's-daughter-bad? Stress case? Flirt? Airhead? Snob? Psycho? Wannabe? I seriously am so confused about the person I was as a teenager that I think I could've been any one of those people, depending on the day.

As much as I love my high school friends, I do NOT miss high school. Today I learned that if we ever do have a daughter, and she's anything like me during puberty, I expect to have my hands full.

6 comments:

Sarah McM said...

Ugh, I talk all the time about how I would NEVER EVER go back to high school, not for a million dollars. (Maybe 10 million.) Puberty is THE WORST.

Vanessa said...

I loved this post so much I want to freak out right now. Not in an angsty teenage kind of way, but in a married, mother of one kind of way, which includes lots of clapping and praising.

I so relate, and truly feel that everyone in high school is just trying to figure out who they really are. It took me until half way through college to gain some semblance of my true self--and even then it would change depending on the boy I was dating.

I know we talked about this at the park, but I will ONLY crack open something from high school if I'm feeling particularly stable. And even then, it's a risky business. Oh, and my mom still tries to guilt trip me occasionally for being such a beast to her back then. To which I just laugh and try to distract her with my cute little girl.

In any case... I'm REALLY happy with who you are now--regardless of the secret spazz you (and all of us, really) may have been in Hike School.

NatAttack said...

Yaggggggh. The best and worst of discoveries, right? I ran across my own writings of this time not too long ago--it kind of made me want to die inside.

It's nice when you're still friends with High School friends and they see you for the better put together person you are now. :)

Carina said...

Hahahah!!! Wow! It is funny how all of us can relate so well. What a rough, emotional, crazy time of life we all have to experience. You are definitely brave to go through your notebook and things. I just leave those as a closed chapter in my book.

Mike and Melissa said...

Hahahahaha! That was the best post ever! I love it! And I'm sorry for your messed up teenage years 'casue I'm sure I was a big frustrating part of that. But I was going through it too...high school is something that no one should ever have or want to relive. You NEED to turn your high school diaries into a book and publish. Or make something else up and publish! You are so talented at writing witty, engaging stuff. I can't wait to read your blog every time you post something new. I'm telling you right now,...seriously, start writing something now and some day you're gonna be rich or famous or both or neither, but I'll buy it and it'll be great!

Sara said...

My precious Mimi, you are so funny! Incredibly gifted! You didn't mention that you hated mornings, hated to be hot, and hated to be hungry. I'm so grateful you came out of those exhausting teenage years so well. What a great example you have been to your siblings and parents. I love you! Keep writing...