On Monday evening, we took a family trip to Walmart and came home with SIX GOLDFISH! Josh always spends some time watching the fish in the back of the store, and last week we decided it was good time to get his first pets. We chose goldfish because they were 28 cents a piece and we didn't want fish that would live too long since we're moving back to Chicago in a month.
Little did we know that it would take a whopping SIX DAYS for every last fish in our bowl to keel over. Six days!!! What in the world?! I cleaned the tank on the third day, hoping it would help the survivors of the first death plague, but apparently it didn't. I probably did something wrong to help them on their way even faster. I know nothing about caring for pets, even the simplest ones. So there you have it -- I'm probably a murderer of innocent creatures.
Though they didn't last long, Josh sure loved his little fish. He was so excited to feed them every morning and night that I didn't even have to remember to do it myself. He really loved them. Maybe too much. After we fed them the second morning, before I put them back up on Josh's tall dresser for the day, I caught him fishing around with BOTH hands in the bowl, laughing hysterically and splashing stinky fish water all over the table. Not good. The next day I caught him shaking a Thanksgiving feast into their bowl after I thought I had put the fish food away. Not good. Apparently if you feed goldfish the slightest bit too much or too little, they die. I'd like to think that Josh and his disgusting little hands were responsible for some of the casualties, but they were probably due to the one night we forgot to feed them. And the bleach I may or may not have spilled in their bowl. Just kidding.

3 comments:
HAHAHA! Yes! Sorry, I'm a lover of all animals, but this post made me laugh really hard. Fish are worthless.... though they're pretty and nice to have if you have someone else to take care of them. It sounds, though, like these fish may have been toast before you brought them home.... six days is a record even if you overfeed/don't feed/contaminate. I've had a lot of fish in my day and I was far from diligent and they didn't die THAT fast. SOOO, rest easy. And blame walmart.
I miss you guys like crazy. Linc told Sam a little about his most recent convo with Matt and when Sam reported to me, we had to have a moment of depressed silence... for two reasons... 1)How much we miss you and 2) how completely SUCKY our summer has been compared. Haha!
Wish we were there with you!
Wow! That fast huh? I think they are made to die in a day or so. In my experience three days is the life expectancy. : ) So you aren't doing too bad.
Josh is a stud.
I got two of those cheapies in Provo and one lasted 36 hours, the other about 3 days. They are INSANELY inbred, so don't blame yourself!
Post a Comment