Valentine's Day was dreamy. It was a day off from school, so I got to spend hours playing with these little lookers:
(picture is from the day before -- Josh wore this cheesy Valentine shirt for his class party)
We started the morning off right, with heart-shaped boxes of chocolates for breakfast.
We sent this little video to Daddy at work so he could see the excitement.
We opened mail from both grandmas. Cheri sent a singing book that the boys love, and my mom sent a little love note she made into a puzzle for Josh to figure out.

That night, a very sweet friend from church offered to babysit for us so we could go out. We haven't even tried a real date on Valentine's Day for years because I don't want to fight for babysitters or battle the crowds, so this was especially nice. We probably won't get this kind of chance much after baby comes, so we were extremely grateful.
Instead of trying for a lovey dovey movie (which my lazy self had originally planned), I decided to actually make an effort for my sweet husband, who got some great news from work that day. We needed to celebrate!
We got to the fancy shmancy Cafe Zinc and put our name on the long waiting list, then walked over to Journeys for an hour. Journeys is a very cute little cafe, complete with board games, that reminds me of the place Matt and I used to frequent when we were dating -- Vermillion Skies. We shared some perfect hot chocolate, played a few rounds of Scrabble Take Two, and eavesdropped on others' conversations.
When our table was finally ready, we feasted on my favorite truffle fries, crabcakes, steak, lobster, fancy sauces and vegetables, and a delicious version of pineapple upside down cake.
Mmm. Two handsome dishes right there.
We ended the night by laughing through a stack of old love letters and silly poems we had written for each other over the years. (As much as I've managed to save.)
We ended the night by laughing through a stack of old love letters and silly poems we had written for each other over the years. (As much as I've managed to save.)
It was a really fun, night. It felt like a real date, with real smiles, and real conversation and activities. We needed that. For real.
I'll try not to get too mushy, but let me tell you something mushy. I look at this past year as the year of LOVE, specifically the most extreme and complete love for my husband. Let's take a quick look:
Last year at this time, we were exercising hard together so we'd be in shape for the cruise we took with our business school friends. That was a trip with no children, which we were desperately in need of, starting out with a blissful day all to ourselves in Florida. Two things that always bring us together: exercise and vacation.
Soon after that trip, we started planning the deck and patio we would spend the next few months building. Once the weather got warm and the days got longer, we spent our evenings outside, listening to nostalgic music, talking and working together to build something awesome. We'd work until darkness and exhaustion set in, head inside for a shower, maybe break out a few popsicles, and then stand at the window admiring our progress before collapsing into bed. We didn't waste time watching TV on the couch every night like we often do in the winter. We learned together and taught each other actual skills. I mean seriously, we trusted each other with power tools. That's romantic.
During that time, I also put a lot of work into creating a garden, which was my pride and joy for the summer. Matt ooohed and aaahed at everything I was able to grow, but he also let me have it for myself. His support from the sidelines and confidence in my never-before-green-thumb motivated me to do something independently that I was really proud of.
That summer we started reading more books for each other -- meaning we'd read each other's recommendations just so we could talk about them together. It's great what you can learn about a person based on the books they recommend.
Then we finally got pregnant. Finally! And we literally cried tears of joy together. As hard as this pregnancy has been, we have appreciated every single day that this baby has stayed with us. Hoping and praying and caring for this tiny little life was just another way to connect. Another thing to work toward together.
In my neighborhood Bible study group, we recently did a session on husband and wife relationships. I found myself very disappointed with the material because it just didn't apply to me. I didn't have the same problems as "normal marital relationships". My husband and I didn't fit the stereotypical male and female roles (meaning I wasn't whiny and manipulative, and he wasn't a meat head who needed regular ego-stroking). It was all so silly, but it did make me more appreciative of the amazing relationship I have with Matt. Call me cheesy, but we have something special.
Over this last year, we've had to make important decisions together about Josh's schooling. We've had ups and downs in our callings and work life and have helped each other cope. We've started having some of the most open, honest conversations in our relationship thus far. We've asked questions we don't know the answers to, and have searched for them together.
And most recently, we faced the threat of a health complication with this pregnancy (dealing with my scar tissue and placenta) and have had to think hard about the size of our family and the possibility of future pregnancies. That's heavy stuff, but we've carried it together.
In short, we've been through a lot this year. A lot of hard work, a lot of bonding experiences, and a lot of deep conversations that have brought us closer than ever. We have found new ways to be there for each other.
If you had told me nine years ago, or five years ago, or even two years ago how much more I would love my husband in 2014, I wouldn't have understood. I probably would have thought, "Umm, I'm not sure you understand how much I love my husband NOW. How much better can it get?" It's like that silly part in The Princess Bride, which has become my favorite:
He texted that to me as he was reading it on a plane one day. I know. I think that pretty much sums it up.
.jpg)




.jpg)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment