Saturday, March 01, 2014

Veintisiete

Once again, it's that time of year when I get to tell you how old I am. 27, if you're keeping track.


The weekend before my birthday, my dad stopped through Michigan for a few days on his way to a conference in Florida. This has become almost a tradition the last few years -- we always seem to get him on Superbowl weekend.


This visit always gives him a chance to spend time with his grandsons one-on-one (or two-on-one as pictured here). When the rest of my family is around, you have to fight for attention.

His visit started Saturday, and we all piled in the car to pick him up from the Detroit airport. Horrible weather conditions caused his flight to Midland to be canceled, so we got to DRIVE through those conditions instead. It took a good eight hours out of our day, but  I guess he (and a super fast trip through Costco) is worth it. The boys played on screens just about the whole time, which explains the potty-training freak out this one had as we got there.


The next morning, we took him to church bright and early...and were so tired and late that we all sat in the foyer.


We came home, made guacamole, and relaxed a little until game time. Here my dad sat for multiple hours,and had little snuggle moments with his boys.




Jude ended up sick that evening. He was extremely snuggly, which was nice, but I still worry with fevers.

Matt made me a birthday cake that night because my dad wanted to celebrate while he was there, even though it was six days early. Matt also made me Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana for dinner, because he loves me.




Josh and Jude helped him wrap my presents. Josh even wrote personal messages on the wrapping paper. Like, "We love you Mom To Mimi from Josh and Jube and Matt...and I love playing video games so much I wish I could never stop playing video games". So heartfelt.


My mom sent me a cute sweatshirt, See's candy, and some Valentiney things. My dad supplemented that with an Amazon gift card, and a funky water bottle. Matt got me the game Pit, which Josh absolutely loves now, and a sample kit of perfumes from Sephora, which included a gift certificate for a full size bottle of my favorite one. It was a good haul.


The next day, my dad and Matt both worked from home. It was a nice quiet day, and Jude was feeling much better by morning, so he provided ample distractions.




On Tuesday, we took him to the mall for a little outing before his flight left.



He may have spent a lot of his visit telling us how awful Michigan weather is, and trying to guilt us into moving back to California near family, but he's still my favorite.

On my REAL birthday, Matt spoiled me by cleaning the house and letting me relax as much as possible. Since I'd been eating birthday cake all week and we were going out for dinner/dessert, I stuck a candle in a pear so the boys could sing happy birthday and help me blow it out. They loved that idea.


We ate at a place called Whine, which serves small plates. It was pretty good food. We ate a ton of bread and took awkward pictures of each other.


I felt very special on my special day. All the messages from friends and cards from family mean so much to me. A few of them brought by flowers or some form of chocolate, which you know are two of the quickest ways to my heart.

And the next day at church, Misty brought a pan full of cupcakes to share in my honor. They were quite popular.


Hoping for another fun, productive year full of kisses from those chocolatey faces!

No comments: