Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Best Buddy Bischoffs in Boston, Baby!

In October, we finally made it out to Boston to visit our Bischoffs. Good timing too, because we'll both be moving to the west coast soon. Can I get a hallelujah?!

This was a pretty last minute trip, in that we decided a few days before leaving that we had better take advantage of a rare weekend when we weren't needed in Primary (aka General Conference) and get the heck outta town. So Thursday at dinner time, we piled the kids in the car and got to the Bischoffs' in time for breakfast. The kids were excellent travelers, and Matt drove the whole way, making it an easy 12-hour trip.

And it was totally worth it to see all these hooligans together again.


Josh made himself at home right away with Carson, which meant they went straight to the basement to play Skylanders for way too many hours. But when the grown ups want time together as much as the kids, anything goes.


Jude and Skylee rekindled their friendship quickly. So many great conversations and facial expressions between these two.


And Brooklyn was my little helper. She was so great with Adele. She gave us a viola performance, helped make food, entertained the other kids, and was just a joy to be around. She is becoming a wonderful young lady. I can't believe I met her when she was only four years old!


After power napping Friday morning, we headed into the city! We got to drive around quite a bit while looking for parking, which I love to do in a new place. Lots of character in Boston.


Naturally, there was a girls car and a boys (plus Adele) car. Sorry Adele. I know how stinky boys are.


We went right to the Boston Public Garden and let the kids run. It was a beautiful piece of nature right in the middle of the city. Carina got some good pictures for us. (Hers are all of the more colorful, pretty ones in this post. The rest are from iPhones.)






Did I mention that Carina was like 38 weeks pregnant here? We were really hoping she'd have the baby while we were there, but it didn't happen. Just a bunch of useless contractions. Beautiful Baby Paisley came I think just a week later.


We crossed the street to visit the bar that inspired the set of Cheers. Josh and Carson cracked us up holding hands like this. They are so sweet.



This is what a potty stop looks like in a crowded tourist spot with lots of children.



Next, we walked for a while to get to The Barking Crab for dinner. It was right in the harbor, and it was delicious!



The next day, we stayed home and played around the neighborhood. The dads decided to try a little experiment with the kids. Can you guess?


Diet Coke and Mentos! It took quite a bit of experimenting to get the blast they wanted.





The smaller bottles didn't produce much of a reaction, but the kids were still excited about it.





Did I mention how BEAUTIFUL it was in Boston? Just look at those leaves! 


That afternoon, we left the kids with a sitter and went out for Mexican food and ice cream. Brooklyn isn't the official sitter, but she's obviously just as helpful.





Nights were full of great conversations, games, snacking, and bouncing this baby around.


On Sunday, we went fishing. There weren't much fish out at all, but with the help of everyone but me, Josh was able to catch his very first fish!


See? I don't know the first thing about fishing, so I passed the parent baton to my friends for that activity. That's what good friends are for, right?


It was a pretty cold and windy day, so Jude mostly snuggled with me on the beach. Afterward, the kids played on the playground until we had to leave to pack up.


But don't worry -- nobody left until the guys got that Mentos explosion exactly right!



"Let's do this, bro!!"



Victory!!!


I didn't want to leave. Someday, I'll find a way to create the perfect commune, where all my favorite people can live close together and see each other every day, raise each other's children, eat each other's food, and just make each other happy!


And for good measure, here are some Carina-photos of Adele to send you off with a smile.


No comments: